FFA Takes on the Capitol

Atlantic FFA officers attended the 39th Legislative Symposium and FFA Day at the Capitol.
Eric Miller
IN THE HOUSE – Left to Right- Claire Pellett, Lily Johnson, Lola Comes, SW State VP Colin Bauer, Rep Moore, Roth DenBeste, Charli Goff, Wyatt Simons and NW State VP Jaydee Bremer. Seated is Colton Rudy.

DES MOINES, IOWA—FFA members from across Iowa converged at the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines to build character and promote citizenship, volunteerism, and patriotism. More than 700 high school students wearing blue corduroy from 118 schools visited the Iowa State Capitol Building in Des Moines on Jan. 30. The students visited with legislators, exhibited skills learned in the agriculture classroom, and learned the importance of citizenship.

This was all part of the 39th Annual Iowa FFA Legislative Symposium and FFA Day at the Capitol. Atlantic FFA President Colton Rudy said, “I had a fun time talking to Senator Shipley and Representative Moore learning about their work and sharing how our Chapter has grown.” During the morning, FFA members gathered at the Downtown Embassy Suites and enjoyed a brief message from Lt. Governor Adam Gregg, who then presented the FFA Week Proclamation. The proclamation officially declares Feb. 17-24, the week of President George Washington’s Birthday, FFA Week in Iowa. Atlantic FFA Vice President Lola Comes said, “It was a great opportunity for me to see a potential career as a lobbyist or member of the Iowa Legislative Branch. I also love spending time with the rest of the FFA Officers.”

MEET WITH A SENATOR – Left to Right- Colton Rudy, Charli Goff, Claire Pellett, Senator Shipley, Roth Denbeste, Wyatt Simons, Lily Johnson, and Lola Comes. (Eric Miller)

The morning program provided opportunities for FFA members to hear from Mike Naig, Iowa Secretary of Agriculture, about the importance of agriculture in Iowa and abroad. Iowa Farm Bureau Federation President, Brent Johnson, then delivered a message about the importance young agriculturalists can play in the agriculture industry. Jake Swanson from High Yield Strategies then spoke about the importance of advocating for the agricultural industry. The 39th Annual Iowa FFA Legislative Symposium and FFA Day at the Capitol was made possible with support from the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation through the Iowa FFA Foundation.

*The original report was edited for clarity.