The Sound of Winter

The band and choir will perform in their Late Winter Concert on March 4.

The band students perform at the 2020 Late Winter Concert. The concert will look a little different this year due to social distancing.

Molly McFadden

Camryn Church, Editor

The band and choir will perform a selection of songs on March 4 at 7:30 p.m. The Chamber Choir is performing “Unclouded Day” by Shawn Kirchner, Treble Choir is performing “The Seal Lullaby” Eric Whitaker, and The Concert Choir is performing “Homeward Bound” arranged by Jay Althouse. 

The band is performing a selection of songs as well, which include “Aladdin,” “Trombone King,” “Iron and Ice,” and “Trailridge Saga.” Senior Nellie Grooms is a part of the band, as well as the choir. Grooms’ favorite song is “Iron and Ice.” “It is just such a powerful song that switches tempos and I think that as all the sections are starting to get it down very well. We sound better every day,” said Grooms. 

I’m excited to see the culmination of the work we’ve done over the past two years of just being able to set up music like this.

— Ethan Pruisman

While the band is practicing, social distancing is very important. They are split into two groups, while one half performs in the band room and the other in the choir room. The choir practices in their room, while they are masked and spaced as far as possible. 

Each song Choir Director Ethan Pruisman chose were songs he had sung before. “One of the things that makes ‘Unclouded Day’ super unique is how it splits into different parts and how it keeps the beat all the way through the entire piece,” Pruisman said. 

Since the performance falls under the fifteen minute rule set in place by Governor Kim Reynolds, choir members aren’t required to wear a mask while performing. There is no maximum number of attendees allowed to watch the students perform, but those in attendance are asked to socially distance themselves and wear masks. For those unable to attend in person, the concert will also be live streamed. “I’m excited to see the culmination of the work we’ve done over the past two years of just being able to set up music like this,” said Pruisman.