Clarinda Band JAMboree

The AHS Marching Band participated in the Clarinda Band Jamboree on September 30, 2023.
MARCH TO THE BEAT – The AHS Marching Band marches at the annual Clarinda Band Jamboree. This year, the band placed second in the 3A band marching category.

Stevie Wonder once said, “Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand.” The Atlantic High School Marching Band worked to learn this language and played it well at the Clarinda Band Jamboree. The Clarinda Band Jamboree is an annual marching band competition that takes place in the fall. This year, it took place on Saturday, Sept. 30. It was the 68th year the Jamboree took place, which was celebrated on the official Clarinda Chamber of Commerce page.

Senior and Drum Major Mackenzie Morris believes the 2023 Clarinda Band Jamboree went great for the AHS Marching Band this year. As of this year, Morris has been a member of the marching band for seven years. Morris enjoys being a drum major because “it’s fun” and enjoys it despite the fact it “has many responsibilities.”

Clarinda is a great small town, and it’s great to see a festival that has almost 50 bands, and the support from all of the audience members for each band.

— Jarrod O'Donnell

This year, 19 schools took part in the competition, with eight 1A schools, four 2A schools, five 3A schools, and three 4A schools in the 2023-24 school year. The AHS Marching Band is in the 3A category, with 73 members this year. The Trojans placed second out of the five 3A schools in the parade sector of the competition.

Mr. Jarrod O’Donnell thought the band did “very well,” and that this was the “highest we have placed at Clarinda” in the 15 years he has been teaching at AHS. Atlantic has been participating in the Clarinda Band Jamboree for over 60 years. “It’s a very unique atmosphere,” O’Donnell said. “Clarinda is a great small town, and it’s great to see a festival that has almost 50 bands, and the support from all of the audience members for each band.” After the Atlantic Middle School marching band played, the band members stayed, watched, and supported the AHS marching band as they played.

View Comments (2)