Look Out, Here Comes “Little Shop of Horrors”

The cast of the musical debuts their show on Friday, March 13.

Camryn Church

Seymour Krelborn–portrayed by senior Bradley Dennis–looks in shock at the dentist–played by senior Clayton Jipsen. This is both boys’ fourth musical production at the high school.

Camryn Church, Editor

“Little Shop of Horrors” cast members will be performing this weekend in the AHS auditorium. There are three shows audience members can watch. The Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m., and the final show on Sunday kicks off at 2:30 p.m. The tickets are $5, and activity passes aren’t accepted. 

The musical is about a man-eating plant on Skid Row, the ghetto of New York. The plant is discovered by a botanist on Skid Row, Seymour Krelborn, who takes it in and tries to get the plant to grow. Krelborn didn’t have anything before the plant came into his life, and as the plant grows, it demands more and more from him. 

Director Ethan Pruisman is excited to “see the show come together.” Pruisman has been working to get this show together since the beginning of January when the cast began practicing. “There’s a lot of small things that went into making this show really good, but there are also a lot of really cool big things like the set, that is just phenomenal,” Pruisman said. The process for Pruisman has been “stressful,” but he is thankful for the students and the people who have helped out, “they really helped me get a hold of the musical season,” he said. 

It incorporates everybody that wants to be there to show off their talents, and it’s a really funny show.

— Ethan Pruisman

Pruisman wants everyone to go to the musical, because “it showcases a lot of our really wonderful singers.” This is Pruisman’s first year as the director as the musical. “It incorporates everybody that wants to be there to show off their talents, and it’s a really funny show,” he said. 

Freshman Nina Welter is part of the ensemble in the production. She has previously been in the middle-school production of “Seussical the Musical.” Welter is “excited” to be a part of this year’s show. Her favorite part is “seeing it all come together, as well as being able to hang out with all the rest of the cast.”

Welter’s favorite song from the musical is “Skid Row,” which is one of the opening numbers. “I think it’s a great ‘big opening’ song,” she said. Welter says she isn’t the most “out there” person, but she’s “found it’s easier to act and perform” when she’s doing “something fun” like singing in a big musical number.