The Shoe Fits

Cinderella comes to AHS as the fall musical.
Claire Pellett
The cast list for the musical Cinderella.

As musical season descends on Atlantic High School, so does a magical feeling and . . . is that fairy dust? The new school year brings new choir teacher Mikayla Stockhaus and her choice of musical, Rodger’s and Hammerstein’s Cinderella. “I wanted something family-friendly that people of all ages can recognize,” Stockhaus said. “I hope it gives us an opportunity to show off some talent in the AHS vocal department.” She intends to grow the program in numbers and success. “I hope to build on some of the successes of recent years.” Stockhaus graduated from AHS, but has worked in many states including Ohio and Texas. Most recently, she taught at Riverside Community School District. 

I hope it gives us an opportunity to show off some talent in the AHS vocal department.

— Mikayla Stockhaus

“It’s a turnaround from what we’ve done in the past,” sophomore Grace Mitchell said regarding the musical choice. Past shows “have been more modern, [and] this one’s a really old story.” Mitchell plays Marie, the fairy godmother in this year’s show. “I’m very excited; I love musical season.” She hopes that in the upcoming years, students and Stockhaus can “turn this choir program around.” 

Senior Dawsen Sorensen echoes Mitchell’s excitement for the musical. “I hope this is as good as last year’s, not that I’m holding expectations,” he said. Last year, Sorensen played Patrick in Spongebob Squarepants, and now he will be playing Cinderella’s prince. “The dude’s name is ‘Topher’,” he said. “He’s pretty cool.” Sorensen also said, “I’m hoping everyone will get along.” 

The musical debuts November 3 at 7:00 pm, with shows November 4 at 7:00 pm and November 5 at 2:00 pm. “Come out and support your friends who are performers,” Stockhaus said. “We’re always looking for more help if anybody wants to help backstage or learn a new skill and help with sound and tech.”

View Comments (1)