Changing Seasons

Fall athletes are transitioning into their winter sports.
Staff
Colton Rasmussen reaches for the ball during the tip in the first seconds of the game. Rasmussen will be a senior this upcoming season.

Leaves are changing colors, the temperature is getting colder, and athletes are putting away their football cleats and pulling out their basketball shoes. As AHS transitions from fall sports to winter sports, get an inside view of the upcoming wrestling and basketball seasons. Most fans don’t think much goes into the pre-season, however, an athlete’s effort doesn’t deserve to remain unnoticed. 

The Trojan Wrestling team is remembered for earning a title at the state duals tournament last season, and a season record of 13 wins and five losses. As the season begins, open mat practices are the best way to become part of a well-known and respected Trojan sports program. Three days a week, Trojan wrestlers start to shape their season. Open mat is an opportunity to better your technical skills and build the team up from the start. “The beginning of the season practices are a way to improve yourself as a wrestler, and also improve your teammates by pushing them as well,” said assistant Jesse McCann. 

As for the boys basketball team, their season has just begun. They’ve started with an open gym three days a week, which is focused on fundamentals and conditioning. The team, bouncing back from a record of seven wins and 15 losses, is ready to make the changes necessary to see improvement. There are two returning starters this year: Colton Rasmussen and Nolan Waters. The pair intends to “lead the team in the right direction,” and come back with a chip on their shoulders. Soon on Nov. 13, official practices begin, so if you are interested in working hard and being a part of a brotherhood- AHS basketball is perfect for you. 

Whether you’re watching from the stands next month, or hearing chatter around the community, remember what all goes into making an athlete perform their best. Support their hard work and dedication by encouraging them and showing your Trojan Pride!

View Comments (1)