Fate or Fake?

Rumors spreading about Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift have students wondering about the genuineness of their relationship.
Junior+Isabelle+Symonds+poses+with+a+football+while+wearing+an+I+heart+Taylor+Swift+shirt.+
Annabelle Meyer
Junior Isabelle Symonds poses with a football while wearing an “I heart Taylor Swift” shirt.

Taylor Swift, a 12-time Grammy award-winning artist, is rumored to be dating Travis Kelce, who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL. During the summer when Swift was on her Eras Tour, Kelce said on his podcast ‘New Heights,’ which he hosts with his brother Jason Kelce, that he was disappointed that he didn’t get to give her a friendship bracelet with his phone number. Swift fans were going wild over the thought of her dating Kelce.

Swift was spotted on Sept. 24, at a Kansas City Chiefs football game, in Kelce’s box sitting next to his mom, Donna Kelce. Kelce and Swift were seen walking out of the stadium together. They were then pictured driving to a restaurant in his 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Convertible, that Kelce had rented out for a post-game party with his teammates and their partners. Swift has since been in attendance to many games sitting in Kelce’s box.

Isabelle Symonds, a junior at AHS, does not believe Kelce and Swift are hanging out with each other as a publicity stunt. Symonds thinks they are “in love,” and she believes “that Taylor Swift made Travis famous. Yes, he was popular before, but this many people wouldn’t have loved him unless Taylor Swift had gone to that game,” Symonds said. “There’s this song of Taylor’s called “Oh My My My,” and it goes, you’ll be 87, and I’ll be 89, and his number is 87 and her birth year is 89, what a coincidence.” 

Sophomore Nevaeh Fewson doesn’t think Taylor made Travis famous. She said, “He was already known from the Super Bowl last year because he played against his brother, but I just think a new variety of people were introduced to him.”  Fewson also thinks they are a cute couple, but lately, in the news, “it’s just been Taylor Swift this and Taylor Swift that, and Taylor is getting much more publicity.”

Olivia Jensen, a sophomore here at AHS, believes that Swift and Kelce genuinely like each other because “it is rumored that they have been talking for a little while now, and just now let the public know,” Jensen said. “ I think that Taylor just made him more famous than he already was. Yes, he is well known and he has fans and stuff, but I think that she put him even more on the map because his jersey sales went up 400 percent.” Jensen thinks that some things about their relationship are “cool”, like how they were both born in 1989, that her lucky number is 13 and his jersey number is 87 which adds up to 100, as well as Kelce’s and Swift’s grandmother, have the same birthday. “I like them and think they are a cute couple.”