Classy Choices for the Class of 2021

Seniors get to decide on how they want their graduation to look in the form of class colors, a designated flower, song, and a motto to go by.

Allison Berryhill

The Class of 2019 adorn themselves in black and gold as they take to the stage for their graduation ceremony. The flowers consisted of perennials.

Ariel Clark, Editor

Graduation, a time of heightened emotions and prominence. The senior class of that year officially takes off into the world to face whatever future they decide on. At the event, the flowers that adorn the event, the song that blares through the speakers, and the colors that splash life into the ordeal are all decided on by the senior class themselves. Not to mention the motto, which hangs on a banner from the front podium.  

A google form was sent out to the seniors for a chance to submit their own ideas on what the song, motto, flowers, and colors that best represented their grade would be. On the morning of Wednesday, Dec. 2, students got another form confirming the selection of three choices per question. These choices were based off of responses students had submitted earlier, with filtering done to remove any that contained explicit language, suggestive content, or other things that went against the school’s moral code.

Students were able to choose between:

Green & silver, black & gold, or red & blue for class colors.

River and Roads by The Head and the Heart, History by One Direction, or Home by Phillip Phillip for the class song.

A sunflower, rose, or lily for class flower.

“Chase your dreams but always know the road that’ll lead you home again,” “The first 18 years of life are the free trial,” or “Don’t be memorable, be unforgettable!” for the class motto.

Class officer Sydney Sanny thought the final choices were decent, though she was frustrated with the amount of people who had responded. Out of the entire senior class, only around 20 students had responded to the original prompt. Despite the low participation, tensions immediately spiked in the senior class with complaints instantly bubbling up. Sanny believes that people who didn’t vote don’t have the right to complain about the choices. “Less than half the class did it,” said Sanny.  

I just want the students to stay in high spirits.

— Sydney Sanny

When filtering out the options, class officers looked towards past years in order to rely on the baseline of what worked and what didn’t work. “Something to go off of for this year,” said Sanny. Trying to avoid things related to COVID-19, the officers attempted to keep more towards the positive side of the year and of their class.  

Sanny encourages students to participate more in important matters like this. “I just want the students to stay in high spirits,” said Sanny. “Do the things that we can do now with the COVID restrictions and still have fun.” By participating in events such as Game Club while still following safety regulations, Sanny thinks that students should make the best out of their current situation. She thinks that the seniors particularly, being the “top dog,” should boost their school spirit in order to improve the overall mood of the school system. “We need to boost our attitudes and it will help everybody.”