Cross Country Season Ends in Fort Dodge

Atlantic edges out Grinnell in the 3A boys’ race.

Kennedy Goergen

The boys’ cross country team hoists their state-qualifying banner up. This is the second year in a row the boys’ team has made an appearance at state.

Grace Clay, Editor

The cross country season has come to a close following the state meet. The boys’ team came in 14th place on Saturday. There were 15 squads present at the meet. 

Individually, junior Craig Alan Becker earned 20th place, while seniors Bradley Dennis and Evan Brummer received placings of 39th and 59th, respectively. Sophomore Zane Berg finished in 77th place, with his classmate Drew Engler coming in 85th. Junior Ethan Williams earned 99th place. Sophomore Cooper Jipsen rounded out the boys’ roster in 104th place. There were a total of 130 runners in the boys’ race.

Last year, the boys’ team came in 15th place at the state meet. 

Hana Holtz
Junior Taylor McCreedy edges her opponent as she rounds a corner at the district meet. McCreedy has been the top runner for the girls’ team since her freshman year.

The girls cross country team had one runner representing their squad, junior Taylor McCreedy. This was McCreedy’s third year making it to state. In 2017, McCreedy earned 20th place. In 2018, she earned fourth place and had the experience of running with her team. This year, even with suffering through an injury, she repeated her qualification by finishing in the top 15 at the district meet. 

At Fort Dodge on Saturday, McCreedy ran a 19:55.6 to earn 35th place. There were 129 total runners in the girls’ race. 

The two teams graduate 13 seniors.