• April 19Girls' soccer is home on Monday against Collins-Maxwell. Good luck!

• April 19Good luck to the boys' soccer team in Creston on Monday! JV kicks off at 5 p.m., with varsity to follow.

• April 19Both track teams will participate in the Co-Ed Ram Invite on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The Trojan tennis teams take on Harlan on Monday. Boys are at home, and girls are on the road. Good luck!

• April 19Boys' golf will be participating in the Monarch Invitational on Monday. Good luck!

• April 19The girls' golf team will be participating in an invitational on Monday. Good luck!

The Kree vs The Skrulls — Captain Marvel Review

The newest edition to the MCU hits theaters.

Grace Clay, Editor

As always, my dear readers, spoiler alert ahead and if you have not watched this amazing movie yet, leave now or forever hold your peace.

Captain Marvel is the next installment of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe.) The movie starts out with the Kree, an alien race that lives on the planet Hala, and there are “warrior heroes,” according to Kree warrior Vers (aka Carol Danvers [although we don’t learn that until later]). These “warrior heroes” fight against the Skrulls. The Skrulls are shape-shifting refugees who are just trying to find a home but, again, we don’t find this out until later. During the entire first half of the movie, we are led to believe that the Kree are the good guys because they are told that the Skrulls are purposefully genociding entire planets for fun, while what is actually happening is the Kree are trying to kill off the Skrulls. The reason the Kree are trying to kill off the Skrulls is the Skrulls didn’t want to be under Kree rule but the Kree didn’t like that so the answer to that was, apparently, killing off the entire species (instead of the logical idea of, you know, leaving them alone). Long story short, Carol, as she finds out is her name, then becomes an extremely powerful being and beats the crap out of pretty much everyone who is against her. It’s amazing.

It’s a great story of friendship, power, and deception. It was full of hilarious one-liners, and sensational special effects. This phenomenal movie also had great characters like Nicholas J. Fury (played by the “bad*** mother******” Samuel L. Jackson), Captain Marvel herself Carol Danvers (played by the amazing Brie Larson), and Yon-Rogg (played by the balding [but still awesome] Jude Law). One of my favorite characters, however, is Goose.

Another great part of this movie is the soundtrack. There are many radical 90s songs that make an appearance in this movie. They include “Come as You Are” by Nirvana, “Waterfalls” by TLC, and last (but definitely not least), “Man on the Moon” by R.E.M. My favorite part was when they played the upbeat pop song while Danvers was beating the crap out of everyone on the spaceship.

I also thought the special effects they used were awesome. They looked really cool, and I’m sure they would look even cooler in 3D. They did an awesome job with everything and it looked really cool.

I would recommend watching this movie if you enjoy watching superhero movies, but if you don’t enjoy them, you do you. I think it was all around phenomenal and I loved it as much as I have loved all the Marvel movies thus far into the MCU.

Grace Clay, Editor

A new school year also means another year of writing AHSneedle stories for editor Grace Clay. Now a junior in high school, Clay enjoys writing stories...