• November 14Good luck to the girls' basketball team at the Cyclone Jamboree on Thursday!

• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

Trojan Boys Pick Up Three Conference Titles

Over the past week, three Trojan boys’ spring sports claimed Hawkeye 10 team titles: tennis, golf and track. Boys tennis competed on Monday, April 30 at St. Albert and on Monday, May 7 golf was at Carroll and track was at Harlan.

Atlantic scored 25 points to earn the title for boys’ tennis, with third-place finishes from senior Grant Podhajsky in the #1 Singles Division, senior Cooper McDermott and sophomore Nile Petersen in the #1 Doubles Division and senior Luke Hohenberger in the #2 Singles Division. The senior duo of Kalob Flory and Jake Redler in the #2 Doubles Division finished second, which was a highlight of the meet for head coach Mike McDermott.

Boys’ golf totaled 295 points as a team to become this year’s Hawkeye 10 champs, beating out the field of 11 teams to make it a back-to-back win. Sophomore Cyle Renaud was the runner-up medalist in play-off with 69, making 1st Team All-Conference. Junior Matt Gearheart finished fourth and 1st Team All-Conference, also having five birdies for the day. Senior Ben Renaud finished seventh and made 2nd Team All-Conference. “Going into today, we knew that Kuemper and Glenwood were the two teams that would compete for the title and we would have to play well to beat them,” said head coach Ed Den Beste. He credits senior Mason Goergen with a “solid play” and freshman Braden Smith as having his “best round this year.” Senior Austin Alexander “had some struggles but got it going when he headed back to the back nine.” Den Beste said he was very proud of his team.

Track boys snagged their first conference title since 2009, making this the 11th in school history. Senior Gratt Reed became the three-time champ in the 110m high hurdles and a two-time champ in the 400m lows. The distance medley consisting of Jayden Barnwell, Sam Granner, Dillon Sonntag and Jaxson Eden finished first to win that race back-to-back years. Head coach Alan Jenkins said, “(sophomore) Spencer Ray picked up a huge third place in the high jump,” and freshman Colin Mullenix had a “surprise finish in the 400 lows getting seventh.” Other individual first-place finishes include junior Chase Mullenix in the 800m run, sophomore Bradley Dennis in the 1600m run and junior Jalen Petersen in the 3200m run. Other first-place relays include the 4x400m (Craig Alan Becker, Sonntag, Zeke Whetstone and Mullenix) and the 4x800m (Whetstone, Becker, Nathan Behrends and Mullenix).

About the Writers
Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and he was the producer of Eye of the Needle during the 2017-18 school year. Wendt’s twin sister Erin was the next to join during her sophomore year. Wendt is one of the lead editors of AHSneedle, so her job is to assign stories to the reporters and edit the stories they write. Her favorite part of journalism is “seeing the finished products” and what others can do. Her most memorable moment in journalism is when she went to a summer camp at Drake University, where she attended a web design class that she thought was “super helpful.” In her free time, Wendt enjoys going on walks with her family and riding her horses. She is also out for cross country, starting her running career in seventh grade. She said she joined because her mom ran and she “wanted to be just like her.”

Story by Madison Botos and Braden Smith

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Junior Erin Wendt is one of the two business managers for the AHS journalism department. She also occasionally writes stories for AHSneedle, and her favorite stories are the “Getting to Know the Class of 2017” articles. Wendt said she loves the “independence” of journalism and being able to choose what you do, like broadcasting or yearbook, as well as what she wants to write about. Her favorite memory in journalism so far has been participating in the Media Now camp at Drake University this past summer, where she learned a lot about writing stories as well as meeting many new people.

Wendt has been involved in cross country and soccer so far in high school and has joined FFA this year. Wendt enjoys the “atmosphere during cross country” and how everyone can relate to each other, because no matter if you’re JV or varsity, “everyone is giving their best effort.” Wendt’s favorite thing about soccer is the overall attitude of the team. She said, “Even though we don’t have winning seasons, we still make the most out of it and have fun.” She is also is looking forward to making some memorable moments in her first year of FFA.

Wendt says her twin sister Ashley knows her best, and she enjoys “chilling on the couch” on her phone, or riding horses with her mom and sister. If her friends had to describe her, they would probably say that she’s good at making cookies and the “mom’ of the group. They might also say she’s quiet because she said she doesn’t “talk a lot when we’re hanging out in groups.”

Wendt would describe herself as quiet and nice, but her sister might disagree with that at times. She also says that she goes to her room for a calming place because “I can be alone.” Something that she would never change about herself is her personality.

Profile written by: Ashley Wendt