Boys Golf Wins Hawkeye Ten Championship Fourth Year in a Row

The boys’ hard work this season paid off at the Hawkeye Ten Championship where they won first place for the fourth year in a row.

Junior+Lane+Nelson+preps+for+a+swing+at+a+home+match.+At+the+Hawkeye+Ten+Championship%2C+Nelson+placed+7th+individually+with+a+score+of+80.+

Kennedy Goergen

Junior Lane Nelson preps for a swing at a home match. At the Hawkeye Ten Championship, Nelson placed 7th individually with a score of 80.

Da'Jai Wesson, Editor

Working through their season, the Atlantic Boys Golf team has been picking up a handful of wins since the beginning of spring. 

On May 10, the team competed at the Hawkeye Ten Championship, earning first place for the fourth year in a row. They shot 322, winning by five points as Lewis Central trailed in second with 327. Individually, senior Drey Newell shot 73 and earned the medalist honor. Junior Lane Nelson finished in 7th with 80, and Braden Smith finished in 10th with 81. Meanwhile, sophomore Garett McLaren and freshman Cruz Weaver both finished with a score of 88, and freshman Roth Den Beste with 99. 

Like most spring sports, the golf team had many new members who hadn’t played last season due to the COVID shutdown. Still, head boys golf coach Edward Den Beste said everybody on the team this season has been “making gains and progressing well.” This season, they focused on improving putting and chipping, knowing the rules of golf, and improving their mental game. “A lot of them have also had to learn a lot of different courses and how to play new places,” said Den Beste. After the championship win, their biggest goal is making it to state. “We have a tough road to state but hope that we can play well to get there.” 

I think we have a chance to go to state. We have a solid group and we are starting to play well.

— Braden Smith

Smith, who has been playing all four years of high school, said despite the ups and downs,  “we are getting more consistent at the most important time of the season.” Like the rest of the team, he has been personally improving on his putting, a “weaker” point in his game. One of Smith’s goals is also to go to state as a team. “I think we have a chance to go to state. We have a solid group and we are starting to play well,” he said.