Getting to Know the Class of 2017: Megan Behrends

Senior spotlight featuring Megan Behrends.

Nathan Behrends

Most seniors usually like to take their senior year easy and not be involved in many activities. Senior Megan Behrends was not like most seniors though. She was involved in volleyball, basketball, soccer, FFA, National Honor Society, AHS Fuel, band, student council, All-State band and the fall play.  

Behrends’ favorite extracurricular activity was band. She said, “Band is like a family, they support me in everything I do.” Behrends also said that while being in band, she wanted to make a point to everyone that you could be successful in both band and sports.  

Her favorite event during high school was prom.  “It was exciting to get all dressed up with all your classmates,” Behrends said.  Along with prom, she said that all the dances were some of her fondest memories in high school. She said the dances were her favorite because “the party started when she showed up.”

Though Behrends is involved in many activities with the school, she still finds time to participate in many activities outside the school.  Those activities included 4-H, youth group and dance.

Her most successful activity outside the school was in 4-H. She says 4-H taught her many life lessons, and she has made many new friends. While in 4-H, she has accomplished winning the Overall Grand Champion Sheep and Overall Champion Showman. Although those accomplishments may seem big, she says that her best accomplishment in 4-H and in life  thus far was becoming the Cass County Fair Queen.  

All of the activities she was involved in helped her to plan her future after high school. Behrends planed to attend Iowa State University majoring in Diet and Exercise, then later becoming a dietician.  “Nutrition has always interested me, and being an athlete I have been interested in balancing health and exercise,” Behrends said.

Even though she had a very busy life full of activities, she still finds a way to have fun and do excel in the activities she did. Behrends said, “although my life is busy, I couldn’t imagine it any other way.”