Jobs for Teens to Consider in Atlantic, Iowa

Students of AHS share the best places to work while being a high school student.
Ali Williams
#DON’TDROPTHEUGGS – Balance is key for senior Abby Muller. She beat the challenge of carrying previously tried-on Uggs back to the stockroom. She was at her job at Brown’s Shoe Fit Co.

Sitting around a lot lately, and looking for something to do? Well here are some of the jobs that Atlantic High School students enjoy the most. Junior Mabry Ohm said, “I really enjoy working at Walmart, and being able to get paid for my 15 minute breaks. The scheduling is super open and flexible to fit all of the school activities going on.” The hiring process for Ohm took her about four months to get hired. Ohm makes $15 an hour. She said, “I like that the people aren’t so uptight.” Ohm works every weekend and normally three days a week, you’ll often see Ohm working the cash register on her eight hour shifts. The only thing Ohm as a minor can’t do is work big machinery located in the back of the store.

I really enjoy working at Walmart, and being able to get paid for my 15 minute breaks.”

— Mabry Ohm

Working to help the elderly is one of Sophomore Nevaeh Fewson’s biggest goals in life. “I like the relationships I have developed with them throughout working there.” Fewson has been working at the Heritage House for about a year and a half and her starting wage was $12.50. Her work has flexible scheduling since Fewson is still in high school, and is very understanding. Fewson’s role while working her four to eight hour shifts is a dietary assistant, meaning as a waitress she takes the resident’s their meals and cleans up after they have left. Then Fewson is able to take her 15 minute meal break followed by her 30 minute break. Fewsons favorite memory while working at the Heritage House was taking a resident to get their nails done and then going out to eat with her coworker, Jocey Mcentaffer. 

I like the relationships I have developed with them throughout working there.”

— Nevaeh Fewson

Udderly Delicious is the most popular ice cream shop in Atlantic. Sophomore, Ryley Kuhns works at Udderly during the summer and says “I enjoy working with friends and having very understandable bosses.” Kuhns has worked at Udderly for two years and is able to run everything inside of the shop, including register, food, ice cream, toppings, and mixing. Kuhns shifts are four to five hours long and her pay is $11 an hour. “My bosses aren’t very flexible when it comes to scheduling but will let us request days off,” said Kuhns. Her usual attire involves shorts or leggings with an Udderly shirt and her hair up. Kuhns said, “My job gets stressful when it gets busy, so I just like to work at the cash register.” If you’re looking for a stable summer job, Kuhns highly recommended working at Udderly.  

As a stable first job, freshman Dane Wiederstein recommended Scooters. He has been working at Scooters for a little over a month and said, “I enjoy working with my friends.”‘ On Wiedersteins four to six hour shifts he gets paid $11 dollars an hour.  During Wiederstein’s shifts his role is to take peoples orders on the headset and work the window, or he is in the background preparing food and drinks. Wiederstein says that his bosses are the ones who handle the scheduling. His attire at Scooters is black pants, black shirt, and an apron. Wiederstein’s favorite moments at work are working with his good friend Maddie. “We are always laughing and having fun.” Wiederstein said this job is for people who are able to handle things by themselves when the place gets busy.

We are always laughing and having fun.”

— Dane Wiederstein

Having a job in high school can be a lot to handle, but when you find the right place with the right people, it can be fun! Although high-schoolers have very busy schedules, Atlantic offers many jobs where your needs can be met.