Spooky Spirit

AHS students share their opinions on Halloween and the mummy race.
Alyssa Neal
Students work together to wrap another student in toilet paper as fast as they can.

AHS is in the spooky spirit this year, starting a new competition. The mummy race was introduced this year, a race to be the fastest while keeping the most toilet paper intact. However, Halloween is viewed differently by students as they have different opinions on what this holiday means to them as they get older. 

Junior Emma Winford said, “Halloween was definitely more of a big deal when I was little. Dressing up and going out with friends for candy was so much fun, but now that we’re older the holiday becomes less exciting.”

Senior Helena Buliche feels as though Halloween is less important than it was when we were little, and it’s almost like “it’s not even a holiday at all,” although she still enjoyed the mummy race. “I had fun looking at the other teams and trying to do our best to win. But now, Halloween just isn’t as fun as it was when we were kids. I feel like there are fewer kids that trick-or-treat too. It didn’t even feel like Halloween and I actually forgot it was until like 7 pm.”

Senior Nick Bennett said that he thought it was a good way to bring up the Trojan spirit. “I thought it was a fun way to get everyone outside of seminar and the normal schedule of the day to switch things up for a little fun. I think it was well executed and entertaining.” As for Halloween, Bennett thinks kids aren’t enjoying it as much as they used to. “I think that trick-or-treaters are calling it quits too early and it’s not as hype as it used to be. I definitely get less excited about it now, but it can still be fun if you make it fun.”

I think it was well executed and entertaining.”

— Nick Bennett

Junior Kaydee Pederson shared her thoughts about the seminar activities. She said, “I felt like it could’ve been more fun if it was more inclusive and there was more to it, but overall I enjoyed it.” Pederson said that now she looks forward to spending Halloween with her friends all dressed up, but when she was younger she “just wanted candy.”

Brock Henderson, a senior, enjoyed the mummy race. “There were lots of kids engaged in the activity, it felt inclusive. I enjoyed it and thought it was funny.” Looking back on his childhood, Henderson noticed differences between then and now. “When I was little, all I wanted was candy, and now I celebrate it to have a good time with my friends.” Henderson said he thinks “Halloween can be just as fun now as it was then, just in a different way.”

Halloween can be just as fun now as it was then, just in a different way.”

— Brock Henderson

AHS incorporated the spooky season while having fun with the students. Whether Halloween is your favorite holiday or something you often forget about, making memories with your friends can always be fun, especially when you’re in a mummy race.