South Parking Lot Stipulations

AHS administrators ask students not to park in the south lot.

Located+behind+the+school%2C+the+south+parking+lot+is+reserved+only+for+ACSD+staff+and+faculty+members.+Students+are+not+allowed+to+park+here+from+the+hours+of+7%3A30+a.m.+to+3%3A30+p.m.%2C+but+they+may+do+so+after+school+during+activities+practices.+

Allison Berryhill

Located behind the school, the south parking lot is reserved only for ACSD staff and faculty members. Students are not allowed to park here from the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., but they may do so after school during activities practices.

Claire Wiederstein, Staff writer

While issues seemed to arise with students parking in the south lot, on Wednesday, Dec 15, Principal Heather McKay sent out an email to all classes regarding the rules of the back lot. The email served as a reminder that “the South Parking Lot behind the HS is for FACULTY and STAFF ONLY during the school day.” 

Students at AHS are required to park in one of the two front parking lots when attending school from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The back parking lot is for staff only, but there has been an issue with students parking in the back. Students can be fined and served detentions for breaking this rule. 

With winter sports going on, it is easier for students to leave their cars in the back after practices. But during the school day, “It has always been an issue,” according to McKay. The faculty who park in the back let McKay know when someone is not abiding by the rule. An exception to parking in the back would be a medical situation, which goes through McKay first. 

There are no “warnings,” as both the school handbook and daily announcements make this a clear restriction. If caught, the punishment is a 45-minute detention and a $10 fine for the first offense. The second offense is a 45-minute detention and a $25 fine.