Art Classes at AHS

Most projects in art class are continuing as usual while the semester comes to a close.

Intro to drawing students work on their pen and ink drawings. This art style is used to show areas of great contrast. Most pen and ink drawings are drawn in black and white.

Taliya James

Taliya James, Editor

Through the pandemic, semester tests, and winter sports, art still finds its place. Susan Wedemeyer, the art teacher, offers a wide range of art classes. She teaches intro to drawing, advanced drawing, basic art design, advanced art, crafts/fiber arts class, and painting/printmaking. Wedemeyer also teaches at the CCEOC in the afternoon.

Each class is working on a different project. The advanced art class is working on a torn paper portrait, intro to drawing students are working on pen and ink drawings, the painting classes are working on block carved print portraits, and basic art students are working on 3D art design.

Junior Koby Namanny works on his surrealism project for advanced art. His favorite project this semester was a batik he made involving wax and fabric. (Taliya James )

Wedemeyer enjoys teaching art classes because of the variety. “Not everyone is the same and I like how each kid can express their own creativity to match their personalities. I push them to do that and it helps me to get to know the kids a lot better,” Wedemeyer said. Next semester, she will teach the same classes, but she would like to find a better way to involve remote learners. 

Junior Koby Namanny is involved in the advanced art class. Right now, he is enjoying his torn paper portrait, but his favorite project from this semester was his batik. A batik is a piece of art done on a piece of fabric. The students take wax and wax over the fabric they wish to keep one color. The wax traps the color within the fabric, allowing students to add layers of colors.