Student Voters at AHS

Some students have turned 18 and are getting registered to vote in the upcoming election.

Camryn Church, Editor

With the Presidential election creeping closer, many students have registered or are registering to vote. You can register to vote online, by mail, by printing off a voter registration form, or by doing so in person. The online registration deadline is Oct. 24 and the mail-in registration must be received by this date. If you are registering in person, you must do it by 5 p.m. on Oct. 24. You also must have a valid ID with you when you register. Early voting takes place between Oct. 5 and Nov. 2. If interested in early voting, you can register and vote at the same time using mail-in.

Senior Olivia Engler registered to vote as a Democrat in February so she could participate in the caucus. “I’m going to vote in person because I think there are so many things that could go wrong with the mail-in ballots,” she said. Engler caucused for Pete Buttigieg after she registered. “I think it’s important to exercise your rights guaranteed by the constitution, which includes voting. Voting helps maintain democracy,” said Engler. 

Reagan Watson is a senior and is also registered to vote. Watson registered to vote in the courthouse when she turned 17 and got her license. Watson is planning on voting in person, to get the “full experience” of voting. “I think that it is important to vote because every person’s vote counts. If people don’t vote it can affect the outcome of the election,” Watson said. Although Watson did not participate in the caucus, she said that she is excited to be able to vote.

Senior Haylie Handel isn’t registered to vote, but has plans to register once she renews her license. Handel is going with her parents to vote in person because it would be “simpler” than a mail-in ballot. She wasn’t able to participate in the caucus because she had a dance performance. “It’s important to vote when you can because when it comes to close elections, your vote can matter,” Handel said.