Fashion Flip — OPINION

The party may be delayed, but that never stopped Gatsby from having a good time in his tuxedo.

Abbey Bishop

AHS alumns Hannah Anstey, Emily Gonzalez, and Summer Petty show off their dresses at Grand March.

Ariel Clark, Editor

Prom: an event that most students and parents start planning for during the tragic years of middle school. While it does seem excessive, people begin to plan out their future dates, outfits, and activities to participate in, despite the event being several years away. These plans can be heard everywhere, especially when the second semester of high school hits. From freshman to senior–though only juniors and seniors participate–students can feel the hype for the event build up. Walls are torn down as people offer strangers the chance to do their make-up and hair, offering a more integrated student body as they all come closer together during the festive time.

Often, females wear a dress while males wear a tux. This tradition dates back to the ancient days of gender stereotypes and open proms. However, as time changes, so does the mindset of the public. It’s no longer as taboo as it used to be for a woman to show up in a suit, or a man in a dress. Instead, it’s seen as hilarious, or stylish, by their peers. Thus, I am in firm belief that we should have more women wearing suits to prom. Not only is it iconic, but it’s also more comfortable to walk around in–from what I’ve gathered visually–and it makes you feel like Gatsby himself.

This year’s prom theme is perfect for this type of style. The Roaring 20s in all its glory, filled with extravagant parties. Now, I was never one too keen on wearing dresses. I don’t have anything against them, but I personally just find tuxes to be more form-fitting and comfortable than the puffy dresses I see so many of my peers going for. Not to mention the fact that it could look like everyone else’s tux and still be seen as stylish.  

We’re lucky enough to be in a safe era and environment where we’re encouraged and pushed to try out new things, often what interests us personally. Therefore, I am determined to spread awareness of women in tuxedos. Some parents may disapprove, considering the enormity of the event, but you, as the student, ultimately should have the final decision on what you want to wear to the biggest and most formal dance of the year. Even if others see it as unconventional.