A Clean Getaway

When seasons change, practicing good hygiene can help protect students from getting sick.

Ariel Clark

Junior Shayla Luke demonstrates good hygiene by using the soap and sink provided in the school’s bathrooms. These dispensers are available for students to use around the school. Classrooms often have hand sanitizer available as well.

Ariel Clark, Editor

With winter still having yet to fade away, it’s ample time for sickness to spread throughout the student body. While excused absences due to extreme sickness–including fevers of over 101 degrees and vomiting–don’t count against a student, the missing days can quickly leave the absentee at a loss for what they’re supposed to be learning in class. Thus, it’s important to know how to properly take care of oneself in order to avoid future issues.

According to the Iowa Department of Education, schools are required to provide students with soap and drying material, such as paper towels. In classrooms and places without access to running water, teachers are allowed to provide alcohol-based hand sanitizers. These items are there for students to disinfect their hands after touching various things. While not enforced, it’s recommended they use these items to the best of their ability. Schools are also encouraged to keep menstrual items available for females.

P.E. and Health teacher Cole Renken wakes up an hour early each day in order to go through his morning routine. He encourages students to do the same and to focus on the necessities, instead of “just rolling out of bed.” These “necessities” include showering, putting on deodorant and clean clothes, and brushing your teeth. His belief is that more students get sick during the winter months “just because they’re not dressing properly for the conditions.” He also thinks many students don’t wash their hands as often as they should, despite touching various objects throughout the day. As a gym teacher, his main issue stems from students not taking their P.E. clothes home in order to wash them.  

As the seasons change, students can be one step ahead of the game by ensuring they get eight hours of sleep a day and practice a healthy morning routine. Showers are recommended every other day at least, and deoderant is a must-use for students. Brushing your teeth at least twice–preferably three times–a day can help ensure good dental hygiene for the future. There’s many ways for students to go about taking care of themselves, but it’s up to them to keep their body healthy.