Trojans Sweep Cardinals

Atlantic basketball went 2-0 on the road.

Junior+Craig+Alan+Becker+shakes+hands+with+his+teammates+during+the+team+introductions.+Becker+averages+5.7+points+per+game.+

Taliya James

Junior Craig Alan Becker shakes hands with his teammates during the team introductions. Becker averages 5.7 points per game.

After a postponed Friday contest in Carroll, the Trojan basketball squads got to put their skills to the test against the Clarinda Cardinals on Tuesday, Jan. 14. Earlier in the season, both the boys’ and girls’ teams snagged wins over the Cardinals.

On the girls’ side of things, the Trojans were attempting to even their record and go for the season sweep. In Tuesday night’s contest, juniors Haley Rasmussen, Taylor McCreedy, and Maycie Waters, as well as seniors Corri Pelzer and Kenzie Waters, started for Atlantic. 

After tip off, the girls raced out to a 21-point lead. With control of the game, the Trojans substituted freely and held the lead at the half, 43-18. 

Atlantic continued to outscore Clarinda in the second half. The girls basketball team evened their record at 6-6 with a convincing 69-34 win. 

Rasmussen led the pack with 23 points, and K. Waters also finished in double digits with 16. Other team stats from the night include four blocks and 14 assists. Rasmussen had 11 steals on the stat sheet, contributing to the team total of 21.

Following the girls’ victory, the boys took the court. Atlantic was coming off a loss to Glenwood, while Clarinda grabbed a win in their last match by a 40-point margin. Looking for the season sweep, head coach Jeff Ebling sent out sophomore Dayton Templeton, juniors Grant Sturm, Skyler Handlos, and Craig Alan Becker, and senior Nile Petersen for the start.

Clarinda quickly outscored Atlantic in the first half. Heading into the locker room, the Cardinals were on top 26-17. 

The Trojans stormed back in the third quarter. Outscoring the Cardinals 23-19, the Trojans put themselves within reach heading into the final eight minutes. Atlantic held Clarinda to six points in the fourth quarter en route to a come-from-behind 56-51 win.

Though he didn’t make the starting lineup, senior Tyler Moen led the team with 14 points. Also finishing in double figures were Becker and Templeton, with 11 and ten points, respectively. The boys also had 13 steals and four blocks.

Next up for Trojan basketball is a face-off against Harlan on Friday, Jan. 17.