Girls’ Track Places Third at Denison

Trojan girls finished just 0.5 points from a second place team finish.

RACE+TO+THE+FINISH+-+Junior+Grace+Bruckner+rushes+towards+the+finish+line+in+one+of+her+events.+She+also+ran+in+the+4x200m+relay%2C+which+finished+fifth.+

Bryer Rose

RACE TO THE FINISH – Junior Grace Bruckner rushes towards the finish line in one of her events. She also ran in the 4x200m relay, which finished fifth.

The Trojan Girls’ Track & Field Team finished third at their first outdoor track meet in Denison on Tuesday, March 26, just 0.5 points away from taking home second place. The team also came home with four golds.

The night started with sophomores Caroline Pellett and Alyssa Derby finishing in a tie for third place in high jump and sophomore Haley Rasmussen placing second in long jump. Rasmussen also placed first in the 400m dash. Sophomore Taylor McCreedy placed first in the 800m run and senior Karsyn Rush was close behind in third. The 4x800m relay team including Rush, McCreedy, and sophomores Madison Botos and Kennedy Goergen finished first.

Freshman Aspen Niklasen placed fifth in the open 100m dash. Fellow freshman Addison DeArment placed fifth in the 1500m run and second in the 3000m run. With a strong kick, Botos passed a Harlan competitor in the last 10 meters to secure a second place finish.

To start off hurdle events, the shuttle hurdle relay team of senior Heidi Williams, sophomore Mia Trotter, junior Anna Lowary and Pellett placed third. Williams also placed second individually in the 400m hurdles.  

The Trojans had two runners place in the top three during the 200m dash, including Rasmussen in second and Derby in third. The sprint medley relay of junior Aleigh Bean, senior Cambry Miller, and juniors Tayler Burg and Pluma Pross placed third.

Rush, Pross, Derby and senior Taylor Hansen finished second in the distance medley relay. Junior Grace Bruckner, Miller, Burg and Goergen placed fifth in the 4x200m relay. The 4x100m relay, composed of Bean, Miller, Trotter and Lowary finished fourth. The Trojans ended the night with a first-place finish in the 4x400m relay with a team of Rasmussen, McCreedy, Derby and Pross.