Trojan Girls Face Off Against the Fillies

Both JV and varsity squads take an L from Shenandoah.

Pluma Pross

The girls crowd around each other during a timeout during Friday night’s game against Shenandoah. The Trojans’ record fell to 0-7 after the defeat from the Fillies.

The Atlantic girls trekked to Shenandoah on Friday night in search of a win. The Trojans came into the match winless and the Fillies arrived as the #12 team in class 3A, with a record of 5-2.

JV took the court first. The junior varsity squad won in their last three outings, against Red Oak, Creston, and Glenwood. However, Shenandoah got the upper hand in this meetup, as they topped the Trojans 34-26.

After JV, varsity commenced. Sophomore Haley Rasmussen, juniors Kenzie Waters and Corri Pelzer, and seniors Baylee Newell and Heidi Williams got the start for Atlantic.

At the end of the first quarter, Shenandoah led 17-10, with Atlantic right on their heels. In the following minutes, Shenandoah started to pull away after they strung many points together. At halftime, the Trojans faced a 17-point deficit, as they trailed 36-19.

Out of the locker room, Atlantic came close to outscoring Shenandoah in both quarters. Still, those few extra Filly possessions allowed Shen to secure the win. Atlantic dropped their third conference contest of the season, 70-46.

Steals were a bright spot for the Trojans, who snatched the basketball from their opponent 10 total times. Newell had four of these. The Trojans also got their hands on the ball in the rebound aspect of the game, on both the offensive and defensive side. Atlantic had 24 total boards through four quarters.

Scoring-wise, Rasmussen put up 21 points, the most she has put up in a game all season. Waters was also in double-digits with 12 points. Every girl that played in the varsity game grabbed an assist, totaling 14. Waters led this category with five assists.