• May 23The softball home opener is Friday against Thomas Jefferson. Good luck!

• May 23The baseball boys take on Red Oak at home on Thursday. Good luck!

• May 20Good luck to the singles players at state tennis on Friday and Saturday!

• May 20Good luck to the golfers at state on Thursday and Friday!

• May 20Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday this week!

Students Tackle the ACT

The ACT test is held multiple times throughout the year, giving students many opportunities to improve their scores.

Guidance+secretary+Gina+Honke+shows+the+ACT+Prep-guide+that+students+use+to+prepare+for+the+test.+

Students Tackle the ACT

Guidance secretary Gina Honke shows the ACT Prep-guide that students use to prepare for the test.

Kylie Neal

Tick tick tick…Tap tap tap… the dreaded sounds of clocks ticking and pencils tapping, while students sit in a silent room, exercising their knowledge on a standardized test. Just what every high school student dreams of, right?

The latest ACT has just taken place at AHS on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 8 a.m. The ACT test is used to measure students’ English, math, reading and science skills. There is also an optional writing portion that students may choose to take. Many students at AHS planned to take this standardized test in preparation for future college admissions.

Senior Halsey Bailey has taken the ACT twice and said she improved her score by three points after taking it again. “The first time I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I knew what to study and review for the second time to help me get a better score,” Bailey said.

Junior Grace Bruckner took the ACT for the first time on Saturday and said, “Although it’s my first time taking the ACT, I have been preparing for it like any other test, studying and taking practice tests in the ACT practice booklet.”  Not quite sure what to expect, Bruckner also said she plans to take it more than once.

The next opportunity to take the ACT will be Feb. 9, 2019. Registration for the ACT is $50.50 for the no writing option and $67.00 with writing. Signup deadline is Jan. 7, and there is a $30.00 late fee it is missed. For more information about test dates and how to register, click here.

Kylie Neal, Editor

Kylie Neal's favorite part about journalism is taking pictures and playing a role in creating the yearbook.  Last summer, Neal attended journalism camp...