• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Trojan XC Brings Home First-Place

Both girls and boys varsity finished first at the AHSTW meet.

HANDS IN-- Members of the girls cross country team break down with assistant coach Brad Rasmussen before running the time trial course.

Ashley Wendt and Erin Wendt

Trojan runners swept the competition with two first-place team finishes this past Tuesday at the AHSTW meet. Plaques were given out to the top two teams for boys and girls varsity. There was one race each for the boys and girls, with the top seven from each team scoring as varsity. The middle school race followed.

Head coach Dan Vargason said the goals for each team were to finish first or second. On the girls side, he thought it could’ve been a little more difficult with Logan-Magnolia being ranked first in 1A, but felt “both teams could win.” Individually he was looking to have a few runners in the top three and see how many more places could be filled in the top fifteen.

The boys finished with a 15 point lead over Red Oak and four individuals placed in the top fifteen: Jalen Petersen in second, Bradley Dennis third, Evan Brummer fifth and Cooper Jipsen 15th for a total of 44 points. “Not only did we win on both sides but we made up 17 points on Red Oak on the boys side in the last three weeks,” Vargason said. The rest of the varsity seven placed as follows: Ethan Williams in 19th, Zane Berg in 21st and Nathan Brockman in 23rd.

With all seven varsity runners finishing in the top fifteen on the girls side, they scored a total of 28 points, beating Logan-Magnolia by 18 points. “We won pretty handily over Logan who’s a very quality team,” Vargason said. Taylor McCreedy left with a first-place individual finish in a time of 19:46, a solid 51 seconds ahead of second-place. Next in the lineup was Karsyn Rush in fifth, Ashley Wendt sixth, Madison Botos seventh, Pluma Pross ninth, Addie DeArment 12th and Katie Saluk finished 15th to round out the varsity girls team. Botos said the team had discussed running as a group and staying together during the race as a way to strategize their run, as well as to push the person that they would be running with. She said, “It was a great course to run too.”

The runners continue their season this Saturday at Swan Lake in Carroll, with Class B varsity boys racing at 10:00 a.m. to start the day for the Trojans.

About the Writers
Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and he was the producer of Eye of the Needle during the 2017-18 school year. Wendt’s twin sister Erin was the next to join during her sophomore year. Wendt is one of the lead editors of AHSneedle, so her job is to assign stories to the reporters and edit the stories they write. Her favorite part of journalism is “seeing the finished products” and what others can do. Her most memorable moment in journalism is when she went to a summer camp at Drake University, where she attended a web design class that she thought was “super helpful.” In her free time, Wendt enjoys going on walks with her family and riding her horses. She is also out for cross country, starting her running career in seventh grade. She said she joined because her mom ran and she “wanted to be just like her.”

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Junior Erin Wendt is one of the two business managers for the AHS journalism department. She also occasionally writes stories for AHSneedle, and her favorite stories are the “Getting to Know the Class of 2017” articles. Wendt said she loves the “independence” of journalism and being able to choose what you do, like broadcasting or yearbook, as well as what she wants to write about. Her favorite memory in journalism so far has been participating in the Media Now camp at Drake University this past summer, where she learned a lot about writing stories as well as meeting many new people.

Wendt has been involved in cross country and soccer so far in high school and has joined FFA this year. Wendt enjoys the “atmosphere during cross country” and how everyone can relate to each other, because no matter if you’re JV or varsity, “everyone is giving their best effort.” Wendt’s favorite thing about soccer is the overall attitude of the team. She said, “Even though we don’t have winning seasons, we still make the most out of it and have fun.” She is also is looking forward to making some memorable moments in her first year of FFA.

Wendt says her twin sister Ashley knows her best, and she enjoys “chilling on the couch” on her phone, or riding horses with her mom and sister. If her friends had to describe her, they would probably say that she’s good at making cookies and the “mom’ of the group. They might also say she’s quiet because she said she doesn’t “talk a lot when we’re hanging out in groups.”

Wendt would describe herself as quiet and nice, but her sister might disagree with that at times. She also says that she goes to her room for a calming place because “I can be alone.” Something that she would never change about herself is her personality.

Profile written by: Ashley Wendt