• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Eye of the Needle Sept. 7, 2018

Featuring School News: A-O period, new 3:13 schedule, EON publication schedule; Fine Arts: marching band performed Broadway Show, show choir rehearsing Hero Show, All-State groups assigned; Sports: Football, Cross Country, Volleyball, Girls’Swimming; Specials: J&J Custom Graphis ad, Meet Mr. Mitchell, Challenge the Trojan (featuring Addison Schmitt, Braden Smith, McCade Stillian, Gracie McKinney)

About the Writers
Grace Bruckner, Editor

Grace Bruckner, a junior at AHS, has been involved in cross country, track, journalism and AHS Fuel. Bruckner has been a journalism student for two years and her role as a member of the Eye of the Needle team is to create challenge videos along with Pluma Pross, another journalist. “It is a very fun environment and all my friends are in it. I get to work with very fun people,” Bruckner said. If she had the choice, Bruckner said she would spend all of her time “in Michigan on the lake.” Her most memorable moment in high school so far was being an alternate at the Drake Relays. Bruckner plans to “hopefully” attend medical school to become a radiologist.

Story by Kennedy Goergen, Caroline Pellett and Lauren Nicholas

Pluma Pross, Editor

Junior Pluma Pross has been involved in journalism for two years. Pross works on the broadcasting team for Eye of the Needle with Grace Bruckner and together they create challenge videos involving students around the school. Pross enjoys spending time with friends, listening to music and has been involved in cross country, track, journalism and AHS Fuel during high school. She would like to run track and potentially cross country in college but is still undecided on her major.

Story by Kennedy Goergen, Caroline Pellet and Lauren Nicholas

Halsey Bailey, EON Anchor, Business Manager

Halsey Bailey is a junior at Atlantic High School. She is a business manager for AHS Journalism as well as the Fine Arts Anchor for Eye of the Needle. “I enjoy broadcasting and the behind-the-scenes like behind the camera stuff.” She is most proud of writing senior spotlights and directing a video about tattoos. Bailey is also involved in cross country, basketball, soccer, Spanish club and FFA. Her perfect relaxing afternoon would be, “staying at home, drinking coffee from one to three and watching Netflix or ‘Harry Potter.’”

Most people believe Bailey is an only child but she has a younger brother named Jonathan. She roots for “Iowa Hawkeyes all the way” and Chiefs for the professional league. She says her parents know her best and she looks up to “my older cousins who are out of college and are doing good.” “Organized and happy” are two words she uses to describe herself. If she could only eat one food for a year, her choice would be soup. “I would never give away all of my Harry Potter possessions,” Bailey said.

The last thing she baked or cooked was Monster cookies “two or three days ago” with her dad in their kitchen.  “If I could acquire a talent, it would be a singing talent because I suck at singing,” she said.

Bailey would never dye her hair because that’s the one quality about herself she would never change. Finally, Bailey’s phone wallpaper is, “a picture of my mom’s flowers I took” and it matches her phone case. Bailey hopes for a great next two years of journalism.

Profile written by: Katie Saluk and Pluma Pross

Aleigh Bean, Journalism Production Student

Atlantic High School sophomore, Aleigh Bean, is a member of AHS journalism. In her freetime she does track and dance. “I enjoy running track because the team makes the running part a lot better.” Bean said. She has been in dance since she was three years old and has been in track since middle school. She joined journalism at the beginning of her sophomore year. She enjoys taking pictures the most. “My favorite sport to take pictures of is wrestling. It’s just so fun to watch and getting to take pictures of it makes it even better.” Bean said. She has two older twin siblings, Braden and Sydney who are seniors at AHS. She also has two dogs, a cat, and a rabbit. She loves to travel and is a thrill seeker. When she is older she plans on going into the medical field but is still undecided right now. Written By Madison Fell

Kelsie Siedlik, Journalism Production Student

Sophomore Kelsie Siedlik is a journalism production student with an interest in broadcasting. “It makes me feel like I’m in charge almost,” she said. She enjoys the editing aspect of broadcasting. Siedlik is also involved in student council, AHS Fuel, Cross Country, and track. In her free time, she watches Netflix or Hulu and eats food. Siedlik has three dogs, and two cats. . Her dogs are Missy, Bruiser, and Toby and her cats are Sasha and Pepper. When Siedlik graduates, she wants to go to college and study psychology because she finds it “interesting.” She also wants to live somewhere warm. 

Story by Grace Clay

Lucas Behrens, Editor

Lucas is an editor for the broadcasting class and creator of the Trojan Minute. The Trojan Minute is a short video segment to help students get to know others around AHS. Behrens once made a video about Nate Renz and said it makes him proud because of the positive feedback about the video and the effects he created and put together for it. He is not in the actual broadcasting class so this can be a challenge for him, as he is expected to know how to do the things the others in the class do and it is difficult to remember where every option and effect is on Final Cut Pro. Behrens has been involved in band, Boy Scouts and Student Council. He plays bass drums and contrabass clarinet in band and in boy scouts he is one rank under Eagle Scout, which is the highest rank that can be achieved. He is also a household cook that helps feed the residents, cleans the dishes and makes sure everything else is clean at all times. His work hours vary.

Story by Noah Meinders

Chloe Davis, Editor

Junior Chloe Davis is a member of the AHS broadcasting team, and her job includes producing ads for local businesses that sponsor the journalism department. The ads air on Eye of the Needle each week and her favorite part of journalism is gathering film and compiling the videos into one final product. Davis’s favorite memory from journalism is when Kelsie Siedlik and Aleigh Bean, other members of the journalism team, played with Barbie Dolls in the JLab. In the past two years of being in high school, Davis has been involved in volleyball, soccer, tennis, student council, AHS Fuel, boys basketball management and dance. Davis works at Salute Gymnastics, where she enjoys her time working with the “sweetest kids.” In her free time, she likes to hang out with her family and friends. Davis said, “Being in journalism, you can expect to have nothing short of so much fun while learning so many new skills that I apply in my everyday life.”

Story by Jenna Pelzer and Grace Barkley

Anna Lowary, Editor

Junior Annamaria Lowary has been involved in journalism since her sophomore year, which is when the class is first offered to students. Lowary creates many of the ads for Eye of the Needle (EON) with Kenzie Waters and Chloe Davis. Lowary has also been involved in basketball her freshman year and swimming and track, which she plans to continue for the next two years. Her favorite sport is swimming because she has been “swimming with the girls on the team for a long time.” Her favorite memory is the Try Not to Laugh Challenge from one of the episodes of EON. If Lowary could go anywhere in the world, you would find her “lying on the sandy beaches” in the Maldives off the coast of India.

McKenzie Waters, Editor

Each week, McKenzie Waters and the ad team set out to create a funny 30-second video to be published on Eye of the Needle (EON). Businesses in town can buy an ad for $25. Waters said, “I love to make ads because it challenges me every week because I have a deadline and I get to work with amazing people.” She joined journalism because she heard about it from upperclassmen and the stories about “all of their fun times interested me.” Waters loves how journalism is student-driven with the freedom for them to create their own ideas. There are three different classes you can take for journalism: yearbook, broadcasting or AHSneedle. Waters is in the broadcasting class so she helps with EON and she enjoys watching it because of the comical content, like Noah Rutherford’s videos. “They’re always funny,” Waters said. If she could go anywhere in the world, Waters would go somewhere tropical such as the Bahamas or the Virgin Islands. She also recommends that students try journalism.

Story by Maycie Waters and Bodie Johnson