• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Trojan Band Welcomes New Member

The Trojan band welcomed a new member at the start of the new year, Mrs. Becker. She will be with the band as a student teacher for the rest of the semester as she finishes her senior year at college.

Becker+in+her+office+working+hard.+
Becker in her office working hard.

Becker in her office working hard.

Becker in her office working hard.

Charity Williams

At the beginning of the new year, the trojan concert band welcomed a new member to their family. Marie Walsh-Becker is a student teacher who is finishing up her final year at… as a future music educator.

Becker’s options were quite limited when deciding where to start her student teaching that was near her home. Quite a few were out of the question because they are not allowed to choose a school where another family member is residing. The location was also important due to travelling. She lives in Corning, IA but cannot work there because her husband works at the school there. When she chose Atlantic, she has to drive 45 minutes in the morning to and from her home. Becker said, “Atlantic is close to the school i went to in size and I thought it would be a great place to learn because i usually worked with a small band and I wanted to work with a bigger ensemble.”

During her high school career, Becker found a love for marching band while leading the Creston High School Marching band as a drum major. “I have been a marching band girl since freshman year of high school.” This love for this fine art paved the road to her final decision of becoming a music educator. “Nothing else really seemed to fit. I thought about being a composer or  a comic artist. I have tried a lot of things and when I went to college I registered as undecided because there were so many options for me to do.”

As the AHS semester continues, Becker will have a bigger role in the band as to helping with giving lessons, teach some of the AP Music Theory classes and even conduct a piece in the concert that is in February. When hearing about a student teacher joining the band, Senior Riley Seufert said, “I was excited! I thought it would be nice having a second person around to help out and have another person I can ask questions about AP assignments.”

Before she can do all of that, she has been patiently listening and observing the band, getting a feel for how things run. “I’m hoping we can make beautiful music together.”

Charity Williams, Fine Arts editor

Senior Charity Williams is the Fine Arts Editor in the journalism department. She digs up the behind-the-scenes information on both the school newscast “Eye of the Needle” and the school newspaper, AHSNeedle.com. Williams said she is “versatile” when it comes to journalism and she helps when anything is needed. Williams’ favorite story she has written over the course of her three years involved in journalism was the article “Poet to Lead Workshop at AHS.” This was Williams’ favorite because it was featured in a magazine principal Heather McKay sends to other districts. Her favorite aspect of journalism is independent writing. Williams likes this area of journalism because she is able to be self-reliant.

Besides being an editor as part of the Atlantic High School journalism team, Williams is part of the girls track team, the Trojan Guard, and the Speech Department. If that is not enough to keep her busy, she has twelve siblings at home. When asked who inspires her the most, she replied with her dad. “He is one of the nicest and most charismatic people I know. He would give you the shirt off his back,” Williams said.

The person who knows Williams the most is her best friend, senior Cora Zikuda. “We spend too much time together,” Williams said. The lock screen on Williams’ phone is of the pair at Homecoming.

One thing Williams would never change about herself is her personality. She described it as “blunt” and “truthful.” Williams likes this about herself, saying, “I say what’s on my mind. It’s needed at times.” Zikuda described Williams as “funny” and “crazy.”

Profile written by: Aly Brockob and Hana Holtz