TWIRP Dance Cancelled

Put away your dancing shoes

TWIRP Dance Cancelled

Sarah Fixmer and Chloe Newbury

“I’m really disappointed that (TWIRP) is not going to be happening this year. That dance is really fun and what’s the point of having the spirit week if we don’t get to have the dance?” said junior Catherine Leonard about the cancellation of the high school’s informal spring dance. The dance was taken away last spring as a budget cut, according to AHS principal Heather McKay, but many students were disappointed by this particular cut.

In February of 2015 when the administrators and the school board met to review budget cuts, many activities and events were taken into consideration. TWIRP was cut because “it had low attendance and they didn’t want to cut Winter Formal because it is the only formal dance open to all four grades. Plus, Winter Formal is a partnership between Student Council and FFA,” said McKay.

According to McKay, a dance cannot be funded by the activities fund because it has to do with salaries of the janitors and chaperones. However, according to the Board of Education packet, found on their website, salaries of coaches, officiating, and activities workers can be taken out of the activities’ account.

According to Atlantic Community School District Business Manager Mary Beth Fast, “The custodians are paid from the General Fund.  Because the custodial duties are related to the general operation of the school, it’s not an Activity Fund expense.”

The cost of keeping the school open varies on the event, so there is no set dollar amount on how much the dance costs to hold. According to Olivia Newberg at the Central Office, the organization hosting the dance does not have to pay to rent the facilities. Any inner school group can use the facilities at no charge.

Since dances are typically hosted by Student Council or another inner school group, like FFA, the only expenses beyond the cost of the decorating and DJ are the electricity bill, paying the janitors, and chaperones.

Student Council adviser Pat Wiederien said Homecoming cost around $700 this past year, which included a DJ and a photographer, and it is our most expensive dance.  Last year’s TWIRP dance used a playlist set up by Junior Tori Krogh, so the cost of a DJ was nothing.

According to McKay, custodians contribute by “unlocking the doors before the dance, putting the tables back, scrubbing the floor, emptying the garbage, cleaning bathrooms, turning of the lights, and performing a security check.” The janitors are paid by an hourly rate that varies between $14.74 to $17.64, depending on the seniority of the janitor.

The cancellation of TWIRP confused a lot of people since it was so abrupt. Junior Alexis Freund said, “It’s kind of a let down for the underclassmen who have never been to or experienced the dance.”

Although the dance is cancelled, the high school will still carry on with the traditional Iron Man volleyball and Mr. AHS competition during the week of March 28 – April 1. This year, what is usually “TWIRP week” will continue as “Not TWIRP Week” and will have no dance on Friday or Saturday.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 9.27.32 AM
Even though there is no TWIRP dance, TWIRP activities such as Iron Man volleyball will still be held.

“Not TWIRP Week” will have a competition between boys and girls, and the points will come from dressing up and winning lunch games.

So AHS, put away your dancing shoes for now, but keep out your school spirit for Not TWIRP Week.