Points For Spirit

AHS students and staff share their thoughts about Dress Days.
Dr. Brauer smiles at the camera while decked out in his festive Christmas sweater for the teacher dress day.
Staff

Dress Days are something at AHS that’s a fun activity for both the students and the teachers. They allow everyone at AHS to show some school spirit throughout the year. AHS features many weeks of Dress Days including Homecoming, TWIRP, Christmas, FFA, and more.

More students prefer the Homecoming dress days over the other ones. Students at AHS prefer these dress days because there is an incentive to dress up and put in the effort. Students are more involved in Homecoming dress days because each grade has the opportunity to earn points toward winning the spirit stick.

Many students and teachers think all dress days should have points so more students will be involved. Having points involved makes dress days more fun because students have something to look forward to at the end of the week. Getting points for dressing up is a fun way for all the grades to compete to see which grade has the most Trojan Spirit.

Katie Hedegaard-Moreno’s favorite dress day is “Homecoming because the teachers get to dress up with the students and dress comfy.” For example, she gets to wear leggings instead of slacks. Hedegaard-Moreno thinks “Students should get points for every dress day occasion because students will be more likely to participate if they get something out of it.”

Sophomore Dasia Baxter said her favorite dress day is Homecoming because “It has PJ Day, unlike TWIRP. It also doesn’t follow a theme like TWIRP because, with the ‘dress like your date’ day, it’s weird when you don’t have a date,” said Baxter. Baxter also thinks that “students would participate more if all the dress days had points.”

Freshman Nico McBride said his favorite dress day is Christmas because he gets to wear his PJs to school, which is his favorite dress day out of the whole week. McBride also thinks that every dress day occasion should have points, and “do an event at the end of the week.”

Dress Days also have many positive effects on students and the school environment. According to Business Insider, dress days are a fun activity for schools to participate in, and benefit students.