Are the “Dupes” Better?

Many duplicate items are increasing in popularity over their more expensive original products.
Zoey Kirchoff
Many students prefer the Stanley dupe over the original product. These and other dupes can be seen all throughout the AHS hallways.

Dupes in AHS are starting to pick up in popularity. The knockoffs of all of your favorite and more expensive things may work just as well. Several students around AHS shared their preference for the concept: Is cheaper really better? Some of the most desired fashion trends can be rather expensive but many students have found dupes of their favorite products that are of the same quality and cost less. 

A duplicate (dupe) is a cheaper, off-brand product that resembles a highly wanted name-brand item. These are becoming very popular because of the desire for cheaper things of the same quality. A lot of common dupes are within the categories of fashion, makeup, skincare, and common day items. 

Sophomore Ellie Butler said, “My favorite dupe is the knockoff of the Lululemon Scuba from Amazon.” She said that she would much rather purchase the “cheaper” of the two for similar quality and overall item. 

Another sophomore Olivia Jensen mentioned that one of her favorite dupes is the workout one-piece from Amazon that resembles the one from Free People. Jensen said it was exactly like the original and would rather buy the dupe. 

One of the items that is favored by many students is the Stanley dupe. Freshman Nellie Pelzer said she has the Simply Modern water bottle instead of the Stanley, and she prefers it because the Simply Modern water bottle has “very little leakage,” compared to the Stanley.

Lastly, the most popular dupe within AHS amongst the fashion category is the Aerie leggings instead of Lululemon leggings. Numerous students can be found wearing the Aerie leggings instead for many reasons. Students such as Kenzie Jensen, Aliyah WIlliams, and Butler claimed that these were their favorite dupes. Lululemon leggings can range anywhere from about $100-$140 and Aerie leggings range from $40-$60 with more sale opportunities than Lululemon. These students claimed that these leggings were of the same quality and some even stated that they liked the Aerie leggings better in general. 

Overall dupes have become a necessity within AHS and have improved everyone’s desire for new clothes that are cheaper and match the trends. Most people in AHS approve of the statement cheaper is better.