National Honor Society Holds a Blood Drive

A Blood Drive was Held on October 20, 2022.

Last year, AHS held two blood drives. With the help of the National Society, they signed people up and made the blood drive run smoothly. Cathy Knuth often gives blood at the blood drives.

Laney Brosam

Elizabeth Anderson, Lead Editor

Atlantic High School’s chapter of the National Honor Society has been experiencing hardships this year. After being unable to find a replacement advisor for the group, NHS has been officially taken over by choir teacher Evan Adamon, who hosted a blood drive on October 20, 2022, with help from the senior members. This gave the NHS members six days to plan the event without juniors. They shared flyers, recruited students to give blood during A and B lunches, signed up for shifts to work the blood drive, and volunteered to bring snacks for the event. Anyone 16 years or older could have given blood but must have had a parent’s permission form. Adamon said, “It went well. There are some things that need to be fixed such as recruitment and signing people up.” For his first project as an advisor, he thinks NHS members did well.

Senior Charlotte Saluk said the blood drive “went well,” and that the event had a good turnout. Like Adamon, she said she wished that registration could have been better. Atlantic High School Secretary Cathy Knuth said the blood drive went well, but she wishes there were “more Red Cross working it.” They had to end the drive early due to a lack of workers.

The future of the National Honor Society at AHS is still in the works. At this time last year, juniors had already been inducted into the program, but since NHS just got an advisor, juniors have not yet had the opportunity to join. “Potential members hope to be able to apply here this week,’’ said Adamon. He plans to have new members inducted and bring in new ideas on how they can do some service projects that would give back to the Atlantic community. “I hope to be able to connect with more students outside of my program and inspire them to be able to give back,” Adamon said.