Trojans Make a Racket This Season

Both boys and girls currently have a winning record and hope to do big things in the Hawkeye-10.

Camryn Church

The girls pose after beating Shenandoah 5-4. This was the first time in 11 years that the girls have taken home the Pyramid of Power.

Molly McFadden, Editor

The Trojan tennis teams have been working hard at practice each day since March and are now cruising through their season. The girls currently have a winning record of 5-3 with most meets having a score of 4-5 or 5-4. Number one player Tessa Grooms said, “I think we all have been working pretty hard and are trying to improve from our sophomore year.” The girls lineup looks like this: Grooms, Nellie Grooms, Genevieve Martinez, Olivia Engler, Addi Schmitt, and Aspen Nicholas, Molly McFadden, and Malena Woodward.

I think we all have been working pretty hard and are trying to improve from our sophomore year.

— Tessa Grooms

With the girl’s meets being close scores all year, they have the potential to do great things at the conference meet. Grooms said that she has “no doubt” the girls will do well at the Hawkeye-10 tournament. During the last tennis season the girls placed 10th.

The boys also have a winning record of 4-3 and placed 2nd in the Trojan Tourney, losing to Storm Lake. Senior Grant Sturm, who has played number one for the Trojans this year, thinks that the team has done a good job being more consistent and keeping rallies going this season than they have in the past. “This year is a lot different for the team because almost everyone is new to the varsity level.  However, I think everyone has adjusted well and we’re back into a normal flow,” Sturm said. For the boys, the lineup is as follows: Sturm, Ethan Sturm, Bodie Johnson, Dayton Templeton, Bryan York, and Hunter Weppler.

I know if everyone comes out ready to play that we could do pretty well.

— Grant Sturm

Like the girls, G. Sturm does not know where the Trojans will place in the conference, but said, “I know if everyone comes out ready to play that we could do pretty well.”