The Untold Benefits of Gaming — OPINION

There are many different forms of games, all of which can be beneficial for your mental and physical health.

Students+from+game+club+huddle+around+to+play+video+games.+Benefits+of+playing+video+games+include+healthy+brain+stimulation%2C+development+of+problem+solving+skills%2C+and+stress+relief.+

Allison Berryhill

Students from game club huddle around to play video games. Benefits of playing video games include healthy brain stimulation, development of problem solving skills, and stress relief.

Devlyne Sunderman, Staff Writer

When someone thinks of games, they tend to think of video games, sometimes even board games. Actually, there are 38 different types of games. These can range anywhere from video, card, board, roleplay, educational, chance, physical, and so on. Each of the 38 types of games can be further broken down into hundreds of different genres and sub-categories. 

Games are fun, but what’s even better is that they are also good for your brain and mental health. You may be thinking: aren’t video games bad? Excessive play of video games can be, but there are actually a lot of good things that come from them. According to BBC Future, “Video games can help people see better, learn more quickly, develop greater mental focus, become more spatially aware, estimate more accurately, and multitask more effectively. Some video games can even make young people more empathetic, helpful, and sharing.”

Games have also been known to reduce stress and anxiety, as well as creating connections between people. And they can be played anywhere. You don’t need the internet or some costly electronic device, you can play games by simply talking(roleplaying) or by pulling out a deck of cards.

According to Geico, “Benefits of video games for both children and adults include healthy brain stimulation, development of problem-solving skills, and stress relief.” Geico also claims there are nine major benefits when it comes to gaming. Games can improve manual dexterity, increase the gray matter in your brain, problem-solving skills, and even vision. Playing games can be a fun way to get tricked into learning, while also possibly inspiring you to be more persistent.