Trojans Trample the Tigers

Atlantic has a big win over the Red Oak during the Homecoming game.

Kennedy Goergen

Sophomore Jayden Proehl runs the ball. This was the Trojans’ first varsity game in the new Trojan Bowl.

Kenzie Hoffman

Kenzie Hoffman, Editor

The Trojans won against the Red Oak Tigers 42-0 on Oct. 9. This is the Trojans first homecoming game win in two years. Junior Garrett McLaren scored three touchdowns, threw 95 yards, and 80% of his throws were successful. “It was a great game, but we aren’t satisfied,” McLaren said.

Senior Korey Parrott rushed 107 yards, had 15 carries, one that was 7.1 yards long, and scored one touchdown. “Everyone was on point. The line was amazing, they had great blocks and played until the refs blew the whistle,” Parrott said. “The new field is immaculate.  Everything is so shiny and clean and the turf feels amazing,” Parrott said. The Trojan head in the middle of the field is the “coolest” thing about the renovation according to Parrott. “It was a homecoming game to remember for sure.” 

The new field is immaculate.  Everything is so shiny and clean and the turf feels amazing.

— Korey Parrott

Sophomore Ethan Steffens said it was a “memorable experience.” “It was great to get on the new field and make memories with my teammates,” Steffens said. He is excited for playoffs and being able to support his friends on the field.     

The Trojans will take on the winner of the game Des Moines-Christian vs. Alibia Friday, Oct. 23 at the Trojan Bowl. Football coach Mike McDermott said the seniors on the team this year have had “great leadership and determination.” “For playoffs, we’re going to establish the run, take care of the football, and establish depth at each position,” McDermott said.