Art Class Accomodating to COVID

Art is one of many classes adjusting to COVID-19 guidelines.

All+of+the+desks+in+Wedemeyers+class+are+spread+six+feet+apart.+She+had+to+change+the+setup+from+last+years+clusters+to+respect+social+distancing.+

Alexis Peterson

All of the desks in Wedemeyer’s class are spread six feet apart. She had to change the setup from last year’s clusters to respect social distancing.

Alexis Peterson, Staff Writer

Art class is one of the many things in our lives that has been changed and accommodated for COVID-19. Usually, the class is a very hands-on type of elective, but because of COVID-19, it can’t be as hands-on as usual. 

Art teacher Susan Wedemeyer has changed many things about the classroom and how she teaches. Wedemeyer now has a Google Classroom up for any online learners that are taking her class but can’t be there in person. Another way Wedemeyer has started combatting the spread of the virus is by disinfecting utensils and supplies that students may use. “If there’s any other kind of supply that’s like ‘I just need it for today’ or whatever, then I have a dirty bin that I need to disinfect,” said Wedemeyer. “My mind’s constantly thinking of what all I need to do, on top of teaching as well.” 

One big change for Wedemeyer and her classroom is the seating arrangement. Instead of last year’s table clusters with numerous students per cluster, her room is now organized into 12 seats, all 6 feet apart. Wedemeyer said, “I like kids to be able to sit in groups and collaborate, and I think there’s a lot to benefit from that in an art room, and so that’s really eliminated that for us.”

Something Wedemeyer said she wants to make sure to do is keep the projects consistent with last year’s. Whether any future projects will need to change, Wedemeyer said is to be determined at a later date, but as of now, she is trying to keep the projects as normal as she can. 

Art class isn’t only different for the teacher now, but also for the students. Sophomore Kylie Pulido said that she and other students are having a hard time adjusting to the new dynamic of the art room now that there are rules to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Although Pulido said she believes the room is set up properly to fight against a surge in cases, she said, “I miss being able to sit next to people.” 

Another struggle Pulido and other students face is the inability to share art supplies within the classroom. Without being able to share them without going through a sanitizing process, using art supplies and putting them away take much longer than it used to. Despite this challenge, students in any of Wedemeyer’s art classes are still managing.