The Arrow Points to Nationals

Atlantic archery competed at State last weekend.

Taliya James

Senior Dustin Dreager aims his how at the State tournament. He competed in both the bullseye and 3D tournament.

Molly McFadden, Editor

Atlantic archery attended the State tournament this weekend in Des Moines. The event was held at the Iowa State Fair Grounds and Atlantic took 24 bullseye archers and 12 archers to the 3D tournament. 

Placing 11th in the high school girls bullseye category was freshman Halle Copeland. She shot a 287 and came in third on Atlantic’s roster. Freshman Josie Colton shot a 278 and juniors Lia Lillard and Mallory Eriksen shot a 276. Also competing for the girls was senior Savannah Cameron, junior Jasmyne Oasay-Waddell, sophomore Jeanna Kramer, and freshman Dayna Dreager.

In the bullseye tournament, the boys were led by sophomore Cooper Jipsen who placed fifth with a score of 292. Jipsen led the Trojan squad. Freshman Carter Smith shot a 290 and earned tenth place in his division. He was the second overall finisher for Atlantic. Also competing for the boys were seniors Dustin Dreager, Clayton Jipsen, Brandon Thompson, McCade Stillian, Harley Oliver, and Derek Dreager, juniors Zach Colton and Joe Sonntag, sophomores Koby Nammany, Zane Berg, Lee Houser, and Mikade Thompson, and freshmen Alex Mata and Dylan Comes. 

As a team, Atlantic placed seventh in the bullseye tournament. There were 33 teams present. They scored 3,364 points.

The group also qualified for State in the 3D category. Z. Colton led the Trojans with a 281, earning him 21st place. Da. Dreager was the top finisher for the girls, scoring 277 points and coming in 21st. She was the second best finisher for Atlantic in the 3D shoot. Du. Dreager, Co. Jipsen, Houser, Stillian, Copeland, Cl. Jipsen, Smith, Thompson, Sonntag, and J. Colton represented Atlantic in the 3D category.

As a team, Atlantic finished in 11th of the 16 teams competing. They scored 1,643 points.

Individually, Co. Jipsen was also selected to the All-State team at the tournament. Due to their stellar performance in the bullseye tournament, the group qualified for Nationals. 

The National archery tournament will take place beginning on Thursday, May 7 and will last throughout the weekend. The archery team will make the long haul to Louisville, Ky.