Siblings on the Same Team

Does sibling rivalry affect athletic output?

Jeanna Kramer

Twin brothers Derek and Dustin Dreager shoot with senior McCade Stillian and junior Zach Colton at archery practice. The Dreager boys have been involved with archery throughout high school.

Jayden Ford, Staff Writer

There are many personalities and playing styles that come together to form an athletic team. The meshing of leadership and athletic skills is what makes each sports squad tick. However, this can get a tad complicated when sibling rivalry comes into play.

Sophomore Ethan Sturm and junior Grant Sturm play four different sports together: football, basketball, tennis, and baseball. E. Sturm said it’s nice to be able to get a ride from his brother to practice. While they play on the same team, it adds more competition because he wants to be better than his brother. “Playing the same sport doesn’t feel any different,” E. Sturm said. He also said they don’t fight while competing together, but when they were kids the conflicts used to be terrible. “We used to fight over dumb things, like ping pong,” E. Sturm said. “He can still beat me in ping pong.” 

Junior Nellie Grooms said playing on the same team with her twin sister, Tessa, doesn’t really change anything about their relationship, as they have competed together since childhood. The two girls are involved in football, basketball, and tennis. N. Grooms said she and her sister are really hard on each other because they know they can improve on their skills and strategy when it comes to the sports they play. They don’t trash talk each other a lot. When they do, they joke around. “We say “you’re bad” and stuff like that, but we don’t mean it,” N. Grooms said. 

T. Grooms said playing on the same team is “convenient, but it can get annoying.” She likes playing on the same team because she and her sister are there for each other and can help each other improve. 

Senior Kenzie Waters said she really likes playing on the same team as her younger sister, Maycie, because “if we didn’t play in the same sport, we would never get to see each other.” The two girls are involved in volleyball, basketball, and soccer together. In the summer, K. Waters is a part of the softball team. She also went on to say, “It’s fun to play my favorite sports together.” K. Waters admitted there are struggles to competing with a sibling. During practice, K. Waters said they will get into arguments and their teammates occasionally have to intervene.

M. Waters said playing on the same team is “really fun because we’re honest with each other and that makes us better.” She also said when they fight, it’s usually more physical than it is verbal.

Senior Zach McKay said playing on the same team as his brother, Devin, is good because he has someone he gets to practice with on the off days. Z. McKay also said he and his brother have “good chemistry.” However, Z. McKay said the downside to their situation is “it’s easy to get frustrated with him.” According to Z. McKay, comparison amongst the brothers occurs frequently. He also said they get into a lot of arguments on the field. The only sport the McKay boys participate in together is soccer. In the fall, Z. McKay runs cross country while D. McKay can be found under the Fridy night lights. D. McKay also wrestles in the winter. 

In conclusion, playing sports with siblings can be good and bad at times. Most people say they argue and sometimes get into physical fights with their sibling. However, the athletes always have a teammate with them, which helps them get better.