Shooting Their Way to State

Atlantic archery had many participants qualify for State.

Taliya James

Sophomore Tristan Mathisen zones in on the target. Mathisen shot a 225 at the bullseye tournament on Saturday.

Molly McFadden, Editor

Atlantic sent many archers to compete at Valley on Saturday, Feb. 22. They competed in both a regular bullseye and a 3D tournament.

Leading the team at the 9th Annual Valley Shoot Out was senior Clayton Jipsen with a score of 290, including 20 tens. Jipsen received first place. He was followed by freshman Carter Smith, who received fourth place with a score of 284. In the girls’ division, freshman Halle Copeland placed fourth with a score of 280 and junior Lia Lillard placed sixth with a score of 278.

As a team, Atlantic earned second place of the four groups competing. The archers scored 3,342 points in the bullseye tournament.

During the 3D tournament, sophomore Cooper Jipsen placed fourth with a score of 282. He was the top Trojan finisher at the tournament. He shot 15 tens during the competition. Also placing in the top ten of the high school boys’ division was sophomore Lee Houser and senior Dustin Dreager. Houser earned eighth place after shooting a 279, and Dreager was right behind him with 278 points. A trio of freshman girls–Copeland, Dayna Dreager, and Josie Colton–finished in the top ten. Copeland had another strong round, scoring 276 points en route to a third place finish. Dreager earned fourth with a 272, and Colton came in sixth with a 268.

Atlantic archery earned second place in the 3D shoot.

At the end of the day, Trojan Archery qualified 24 high school archers for the State bullseye tournament and 12 high schoolers for the State 3D tournament.

The State tournament begins on Saturday, March 7.