Taking Shots in Diagonal and Creston

Atlantic archery broke records at recent tournaments.

Taliya James

Sophomore Cooper Jipsen carries his arrows at this season’s home tournament. Jipsen shot a 296 at the Creston tournament this past weekend.

Molly McFadden, Editor

Over the weekend, the Atlantic archery team traveled to two different tournaments. The team ranked second out of four at the Diagonal Maroons Shootout and first out of four at the CAT Bullseye tournament in Creston. 

At the Diagonal meet, the Trojans scored 3,348 points, setting a new team record. The previous record was 3,347 points, which was attained on Saturday, Jan. 25 at the Nodaway Valley tournament. Individually, senior Clayton Jipsen led the group, shooting a 289. This earned him third place in the boys’ competition. Freshman Halle Copeland finished fourth amongst the Trojan archers and fourth in the high school girls’ division. Copeland scored 286 points.

The archers also competed in Creston on Saturday. Atlantic finished in first place, topping the field of four teams. The group totaled 3,334 points. Sophomore Cooper Jipsen set an individual high school record after shooting a 296. The previous record was set at 294: which was created and tied by Co. Jipsen, sophomore Lee Houser, and senior Dustin Dreager. Co. Jipsen said breaking the high school record was “thrilling.” Finishing in fourth place for Atlantic was sophomore Jeanna Kramer with a score of 279. Kramer earned third in the girls’ division.

“We did really good and got a new high school record at Diagonal,” Co. Jipsen said.

The archery team will participate in the Bluejay Bullseye tournament in Bondurant on Saturday, Feb. 8.