School Board Meeting Sparks New Beginnings

Two new members of the Board of Education were sworn in at Tuesday night’s board meeting.

Laura+McLean+is+sworn+into+her+position+of+the+Board+of+Education.+McLean%2C+Nick+Hunt%2C+and+incumbent+Jenny+Williams%2C+were+the+winners+of+the+November+election.+

Molly McFadden

Laura McLean is sworn into her position of the Board of Education. McLean, Nick Hunt, and incumbent Jenny Williams, were the winners of the November election.

Camryn Church, Editor

Atlantic School District’s Board of Education met at the high school on Tuesday night. This would be the last time for retiring members and the first for a few new ones. There are two members retiring, Allison Bruckner and Dr. Keith Swanson. Both received plaques for their four years on the Board. 

The new board members Laura McLean and Nick Hunt were sworn in at the meeting as well. Hunt attended the meeting via video-chat from Colorado. After the new members were sworn in, the new board approved the re-appointment of Sarah Sheeder for Board Treasurer and Secretary. Kristy Pellett was elected Vice-President. John McLaren was elected President. 

The board voted to keep the regular dates of their meetings, as well as the ten yearly work sessions as the fourth Wednesday of the month. The board also switched the time of their meetings from 5:30 to 6 p.m. 

Superintendent Steve Barber discussed the process on the district’s athletic facilities projects. The construction is behind schedule, which could be due to the weather. The goal for the baseball and softball fields is to finish the demolition and get the two concession stands up yet this fall. The concessions stand will be built with–and set-up with–electrical plumbing.

Another topic of discussion was the Aviation curriculum taught by Lisa Sonntag. Sonntag plans to be trained in the second-year curriculum, as well as teaching it in the 2020-21 school year.