Cross Country Continue Season at Home

The cross country teams have mediocre finishes at home.

Kennedy Goergen

The varsity boys’ team starts the race at the home meet this past Saturday. The boys earned sixth place, and the girls finished in seventh.

Grace Clay, Editor

Due to rainy weather, the cross country meet that was scheduled on Thursday, Oct. 10, was postponed until Saturday, Oct. 12. It was the teams’ final home meet until Districts, which will be held on Thursday, Oct. 24.

The girls’ team earned seventh place with one runner finishing in the top ten. Freshman Ava Rush earned the number four spot with a time of 21:13.09. The girls had a total score of 172. Harlan took the top team spot at the meet. They were ranked #4 in class 3A. Following Harlan was Ankeny Centennial, Bishop Heelan, ACGC, and Nodaway Valley. Three of the six squads that placed higher than Atlantic were ranked. 

The boys’ team came in 6th place, also with one runner earning a top ten spot. Junior Craig Alan Becker earned an individual placing of ninth, with a time of 17:46.37. The boys had a total score of 151. In the boys’ team scoring, it was Ankeny Centennial in first place. Rounding out the top five were Ankeny, Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson, Nodaway Valley, and Des Moines Christian. Nodaway Valley and Des Moines Christian were both ranked #2 in their respective classes. 

Both teams will have their next meet in Creston on Thursday, Oct. 17. This is also the conference meet, with all eleven teams competing in one place.