Trojans Dominate the Green

Trojan girls’ golf competed in two meets. They earned 3rd place in Ames, and 1st in Shenandoah.

Kelsie Siedlik

Sophomore Anna Wieser putts the ball on the green. This is Wieser’s second year in golf.

Grace Clay, Editor

Trojan girls’ golf had another meet on Monday, April 22 in Ames. It was an invitational against Ames, Waukee, and seven other teams. The girls placed 3rd overall with a score of 390, narrowly falling behind Ames by two strokes. The first place winner was Waukee with a score of 356.

Senior Baylee Newell had a score of 92 which positioned her in 7th place. Senior Alyssa Ginther also had a score 92 and placed 8th. Sophomore Anna Wieser had a score of 100, sophomore Lauren Nicholas had a score of 106, and senior Hannah Alff had a score of 117.

The girls played in on-again, off-again rain all day. According to head coach Kathy Hobson, this challenge, along with others, “should help in the long run.”

They golfed in another match on Thursday, April 25 at Shenandoah. The Trojans won this meet with a score of 175. They were followed by Shenandoah who had a score of 207, then Red Oak with 217, Abraham Lincoln with 227, and Lewis Central with 234. The girls’ had one medalist, which was Newell with a score of 40. Ginther was a runner up with 43, Wieser had a score of 48, Alff with 45, Nicholas with 47, and junior Belle Wickman brought up the rear with 72.

Hobson was “very pleased with our scoring” and said “that is the play we will need come regionals.”