Girls’ Tennis Falls to Fillies

The girls’ lineup changes with a new season.

Grace Clay

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT- Junior Hana Holtz and sophomore Makynzie Steffens practice doubles at the Washington tennis courts in March.

Molly McFadden, Staff Writer

Tennis players Hana Holtz (#1), Molly McFadden (#3) and Nellie Grooms (#4) were the high-scoring Trojans during the competition with Shenandoah Monday night. Although no Trojans won their matches, Holtz and McFadden each won two games and Grooms won one.

After graduating Heather Freund (#1) and Riley Seufert (#4) last spring, the Trojans’ lineup has changed. This year there are 16 girls out for tennis, doubling what they had last season.

Completing the varsity lineup was #2 Genevieve Martinez, #5 Tessa Grooms, and #6 Olivia Engler. Playing doubles together were #1 Holtz/Martinez, #2 McFadden/N. Grooms, and #3 T. Grooms/Engler. All doubles fell to the Fillies 0-8.

I enjoy spending time with the team.

— Makynzie Steffens

Tuesday the girls were back on the road again with a meet in Glenwood. The singles lineup remained the same, while doubles partners were switched. #1 Holtz/N. Grooms lost 0-8, #2 Martinez/T. Grooms lost 2-8, and #3 McFadden/Engler lost 3-8.

Makynzie Steffens played JV both nights. She said that she played well, but hopes to continue to improve throughout the season. Steffens said, “I enjoy spending time with the team and look forward to the rest of the season.”