Girls’ Soccer Kicks Off

The season has officially begun for the AHS Girls’ Soccer team.

Grace Clay

SOCCER KNOWS NO GENDER — The boys’ and girls’ teams work together to bring a net from the game field to the practice field.

Grace Clay, Editor

Over spring break, the AHS Girls’ Soccer team began to practice for the 2018-2019 season. Practice officially started March 18, but in order to get in shape, they held open gyms every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday in the preseason. The seniors also lead conditioning on the other weekdays, and the girls were also encouraged to run on their own.

Junior Ana Muell has been a part of the soccer team all three years of her high school career. She is looking to improve her playing this year and hopes to score some goals. Her favorite thing about soccer is “playing the game.”

Assistant coach and Spanish teacher Daniel Vargason said, “Every season it’s fun to get to know the players and the team.” He is looking forward to watching the team grow as the season goes on.

He hopes the girls will improve on their skill and teamwork, which he thinks will also lead to a better record than previous years. There are 20 returning girls, with six of them being seniors. Sadie Welter, Erin Wendt, Alyssa Ginther, Haley Becker, Colissa Wheeler, and Abi Evans are entering their senior season.

The team will have their first scrimmage on Saturday, March 30 in Bondurant. Their first regular-season game will be on Monday, April 1 in Carroll against Kuemper Catholic.