• April 23Trojan Diner is this Friday.

• April 23Boys' soccer hosts two games this week, on Thursday and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23The Drake Relays start on Thursday. The girls' and boys' teams have sent representatives to compete. Good luck!

• April 23Good luck to the girls' soccer team on Tuesday and Friday, as they take on St. Albert and Harlan.

• April 23Girls' tennis has three meets this week, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' golf has two home meets this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. Good luck!

• April 23Boys' tennis has duals on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Good luck!

• April 22The concert band will be holding their annual Patty Hannon concert on Sunday in the auditorium.

• April 22The speech and debate team is hosting a showcase on Saturday in the commons and auditorium.

Trojan Boys’ Basketball Takes On a New Opponent

The Atlantic boys came up short against the Des Moines Lincoln Railsplitters.

Senior Chase Mullenix takes a breath before shooting a free throw. Mullenix leads his team in points per game, as he averages 17.8 in each contest. Against the Rails, Mullenix scored 16 points.

Emma Templeton

Emma Templeton

Emma Templeton

The Des Moines Lincoln Railsplitters posed as a new competitor for the Atlantic Trojan boys’ basketball team in their matchup on Monday night. Lincoln is known for being one of the largest schools in the state of Iowa, enrollment-wise. According to publicschoolreview.com,  Lincoln is the second largest public high school in Iowa with 2,252 students. It is topped only by another Des Moines-area high school.

The reasoning for playing a school with such a massive student body was because the Trojans needed to fill a few dates on their schedule. This is the same reason Atlantic matched up with Gilbert earlier on in the season.

Lincoln came into the game with a record of 6-6, and Atlantic rolled in at 5-9. In their last game, Lincoln was victorious over Des Moines Hoover. The Trojans were also coming off of a win against the Clarinda Cardinals.

Seniors Nate Behrends, Chase Mullenix, and Logan Reilly–along with junior Tyler Moen and sophomore Skyler Handlos started for the Trojans.

During the first quarter, both teams showed success on offense, but a sneaky Railsplitter defense slowed the Trojans’ scoring. Lincoln led Atlantic 23-10 at the end of one. In the second quarter, Atlantic matched Lincoln–they each put up ten points. Going into the locker room, the Trojans faced a 13-point deficit.

The Railsplitters quickly strung points together to run away from the Trojans as the second half started. After being outscored 26-10 in the third period, Atlantic had a great amount of ground to make up going into the final quarter.

Atlantic continued to push on as the clock wound down, but strong defense from the opposition prevented the Trojans from going on a large point spree to get the score any closer. The Trojans fell to the Rails 71-44 to make their record 5-10.

Mullenix and Moen each scored 16 points for Atlantic. Reilly and Handlos also put up blocks for the Trojans.

The next outing for the Trojan boys is Red Oak at home on Friday. The Tigers are winless thus far.

About the Contributors

Hana Holtz is a member of the AHSneedle team, where she works with other journalists to keep the news website updated. “We work very hard,” she said....

Emma Templeton, Editor

Emma Templeton joined journalism as a sophomore, because “my brother Logan took it so I decided to take it.” So far she has liked journalism and how...