• January 21Good luck to the wrestling team at the Hawkeye 10 tournament on Saturday!

• January 21Girls' and boys' basketball are facing off against the Red Oak Tigers on Friday, boys at home and girls on the road.

• January 21Atlantic-CAM wrestling is hosting a double dual on Thursday, good luck!

Two Trojans Earn a Rollin Dyer Title

The Atlantic-CAM Trojans finished second as a team with two individual titles earned.

Two Trojans Earn a Rollin Dyer Title

WAIT FOR IT - Senior Chase McLaren holds his position before the whistle. McLaren is a four-time Rollin Dyer tournament champion.

Caroline Pellett

Caroline Pellett

Caroline Pellett

The 40th annual Rollin Dyer Tournament was hosted by Atlantic-CAM on Saturday, Jan. 5. The Trojans left with two tournament champions: seniors Chase McLaren and Chase Mullinex. This was the fourth Rollin Dyer title for McLaren, who won it at 120 as a freshman, 126 as a sophomore and 132 as a junior.

For his senior year title, McLaren said he had to face off with the fifth-ranked wrestler from SouthWest Valley, but felt he was good enough to win. “I knew that was going to be a good match and I just wanted to go out there and wrestle my best and go out there and win in front of my home crowd.” Currently ranked fourth, McLaren will maintain focus on his shots and “putting it all together and perfecting every little thing” as the season nears the end.

The team fell just three points short of a title behind the Sergeant Bluff-Lutton Warriors but were still able to secure a second-place finish. “We performed pretty well as a team,” McLaren said. “I think we could’ve had a couple more champions.” Runner-up finishes came from senior Connor Pellett, juniors Aybren Moore and Cale Roller and freshman Kadin Stutzman. Third place was earned by freshman Garrett McLaren, sophomore Steele McLaren and senior Kenny Jimerson, with sophomore Joe Weaver finishing in fourth. Two wrestlers ended in sixth place: senior Mitchell Williamson and sophomore Devin McKay.

For the rest of the season, the number three ranked Atlantic-CAM Trojans will continue to keep their goals in sight. “We need to just keep going at it and staying in good shape and win those close matches in the third period,” McLaren said. “I’m just really proud of my team and I think we’re doing great. I can’t wait for the end of the season.”

The Trojans will be heading to Marion on Saturday for the Loyd Shaffer invitational.

About the Writers
Ashley Wendt, Lead Editor

Journalism is a family affair for the Wendts, as Ashley Wendt’s siblings got her involved in Journalism. Her brother Trevor was the first to join and...

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Serving as a lead editor and one of the business managers, senior Erin Wendt has been involved in journalism since the beginning of her sophomore year....