• January 21Good luck to the wrestling team at the Hawkeye 10 tournament on Saturday!

• January 21Girls' and boys' basketball are facing off against the Red Oak Tigers on Friday, boys at home and girls on the road.

• January 21Atlantic-CAM wrestling is hosting a double dual on Thursday, good luck!

Filed under Showcase, Sports, Swimming

Girls’ Swimming Dives in at Regionals

The Trojans will be competing in eight events at the State meet.

FLYING+HIGH+-Senior+Cambry+Miller+jumps+from+the+block+to+continue+a+relay.++Miller+has+swum+all+four+years+of+high+school+and+is+one+of+two+seniors+on+the+team.+

Girls’ Swimming Dives in at Regionals

FLYING HIGH -Senior Cambry Miller jumps from the block to continue a relay.  Miller has swum all four years of high school and is one of two seniors on the team.

FLYING HIGH -Senior Cambry Miller jumps from the block to continue a relay. Miller has swum all four years of high school and is one of two seniors on the team.

Six Trojan swimmers will be competing at the State meet in Marshalltown on Nov. 2-3. The girls’ swim team traveled to Johnston for their regional meet, finishing fourth out of a field of eight teams with 250 points. Ames came out on top with 569 points, a huge lead over second place Johnston with 356.

The Trojans will be swimming in eight events, with five individual races. Senior Cambry Miller and junior Clare Christensen were the only two swimmers for the girls to automatically qualify by meeting the time standard in their respective races. Assistant Coach Jennifer Miller said a surprise from the meet was Christensen’s auto qualification. “She swam such an amazing time that she met that time standard without even having to worry,” J Miller said.  Miller’s individual events include the 200 free and 100 free. Christensen is swimming the 100 butterfly, and Anna Lowary is competing in the 200 IM and 100 backstroke.

The qualification process for State is different than it has been in the past. If in any meet, at any point in the season a swimmer meets the time standard they have qualified for State. Regionals just happened to be where Miller and Christensen met the standard. If not enough people meet the standard, the next fastest times, until all 32 spots have been filled, will be taken. Another change to the State meet includes an addition of preliminary races. These will take place on Friday, Nov. 2 and only individual events compete. From this, the top 16 advance to finals on Nov. 3.

All three relays the girls raced in are advancing to the State meet. These are the 200 free relay, 400 free relay and 200 medley relay. Miller, Christensen, Aleah Hermansen and Kate Landuis are swimming the 200 free. Miller, Christensen, Hermansen and Lowary are in the 400 free relay. McKenna Ewoldt is swimming the 200 medley relay with Hermansen, Christensen and Lowary.

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Serving as a lead editor and one of the business managers, senior Erin Wendt has been involved in journalism since the beginning of her sophomore year....