• November 12There is an All State music festival this Thursday Friday and Saturday!

• November 12There is an FFA meeting tomorrow at 6:30 in Mr. Miller's room.

Filed under Showcase, Sports, Swimming

Girls’ Swimming Dives in at Regionals

The Trojans will be competing in eight events at the State meet.

FLYING+HIGH+-Senior+Cambry+Miller+jumps+from+the+block+to+continue+a+relay.++Miller+has+swum+all+four+years+of+high+school+and+is+one+of+two+seniors+on+the+team.+
FLYING HIGH -Senior Cambry Miller jumps from the block to continue a relay.  Miller has swum all four years of high school and is one of two seniors on the team.

FLYING HIGH -Senior Cambry Miller jumps from the block to continue a relay. Miller has swum all four years of high school and is one of two seniors on the team.

Six Trojan swimmers will be competing at the State meet in Marshalltown on Nov. 2-3. The girls’ swim team traveled to Johnston for their regional meet, finishing fourth out of a field of eight teams with 250 points. Ames came out on top with 569 points, a huge lead over second place Johnston with 356.

The Trojans will be swimming in eight events, with five individual races. Senior Cambry Miller and junior Clare Christensen were the only two swimmers for the girls to automatically qualify by meeting the time standard in their respective races. Assistant Coach Jennifer Miller said a surprise from the meet was Christensen’s auto qualification. “She swam such an amazing time that she met that time standard without even having to worry,” J Miller said.  Miller’s individual events include the 200 free and 100 free. Christensen is swimming the 100 butterfly, and Anna Lowary is competing in the 200 IM and 100 backstroke.

The qualification process for State is different than it has been in the past. If in any meet, at any point in the season a swimmer meets the time standard they have qualified for State. Regionals just happened to be where Miller and Christensen met the standard. If not enough people meet the standard, the next fastest times, until all 32 spots have been filled, will be taken. Another change to the State meet includes an addition of preliminary races. These will take place on Friday, Nov. 2 and only individual events compete. From this, the top 16 advance to finals on Nov. 3.

All three relays the girls raced in are advancing to the State meet. These are the 200 free relay, 400 free relay and 200 medley relay. Miller, Christensen, Aleah Hermansen and Kate Landuis are swimming the 200 free. Miller, Christensen, Hermansen and Lowary are in the 400 free relay. McKenna Ewoldt is swimming the 200 medley relay with Hermansen, Christensen and Lowary.

Erin Wendt, Business Manager/Editor

Junior Erin Wendt is one of the two business managers for the AHS journalism department. She also occasionally writes stories for AHSneedle, and her favorite stories are the “Getting to Know the Class of 2017” articles. Wendt said she loves the “independence” of journalism and being able to choose what you do, like broadcasting or yearbook, as well as what she wants to write about. Her favorite memory in journalism so far has been participating in the Media Now camp at Drake University this past summer, where she learned a lot about writing stories as well as meeting many new people.

Wendt has been involved in cross country and soccer so far in high school and has joined FFA this year. Wendt enjoys the “atmosphere during cross country” and how everyone can relate to each other, because no matter if you’re JV or varsity, “everyone is giving their best effort.” Wendt’s favorite thing about soccer is the overall attitude of the team. She said, “Even though we don’t have winning seasons, we still make the most out of it and have fun.” She is also is looking forward to making some memorable moments in her first year of FFA.

Wendt says her twin sister Ashley knows her best, and she enjoys “chilling on the couch” on her phone, or riding horses with her mom and sister. If her friends had to describe her, they would probably say that she’s good at making cookies and the “mom’ of the group. They might also say she’s quiet because she said she doesn’t “talk a lot when we’re hanging out in groups.”

Wendt would describe herself as quiet and nice, but her sister might disagree with that at times. She also says that she goes to her room for a calming place because “I can be alone.” Something that she would never change about herself is her personality.

Profile written by: Ashley Wendt