Trojans Finish the Season Strong Against Red Oak

Atlantic finishes the season with a 4-5 record.

Coach Mike McDermott talks to senior quarterback Chase Mullenix.

Connor Church, Editor

The Trojans finished the season strong on Friday night at the Trojan Bowl against the Red Oak Tigers. It was the last game of the season, and the Trojans wanted to go out with a win. It was also the last game for the seniors.

The Trojans got the ball first, but fumbled on their first possession. This gave the Tigers momentum, as the drove the ball down the field and scored a touchdown. The Trojans would respond, as sophomore Colin Mullenix took it to the house on a 81-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. The Trojans would go for two, and convert. The Trojans led 8-7.

The Trojan defense forced the Tigers to punt on the Tigers’ next possession. Atlantic drove the ball down the field, but failed to convert on a fourth down and eight at the Red Oak 33-yard line. However, the Tigers couldn’t gain any momentum with the defensive stop. Atlantic forced a fumble, and got the ball back. However, the Trojans had to punt the ball back to the Tigers.

The Tigers drove the ball down the field, but failed to convert on a fourth down and one. This gave the Trojans the ball back. The Trojans drove the ball down the field, and junior Tyler Moen rushed for a two-yard touchdown. Atlantic left the field at halftime with a 15-7 lead.

At the beginning of the second half, Red Oak had the ball, but were forced to put. The Trojans drove the ball down the field, and senior Chase Mullenix rushed for a one-yard touchdown. This made the score 21-7. The Tigers responded with a drive of their own, as they scored a touchdown. After the Trojans received the kickoff, senior Zade Niklasen rushed for a 68-yard touchdown. The score was now 28-14. The Trojans recovered the ensuing kickoff, and drove the ball done the field, scoring another touchdown. Atlantic led 35-14.

The Trojans and Tigers each got their seniors a lot of playing time, and the defenses forced fourth down stops for the rest of the game.The Trojans ran the clock out, and won 35-14 to end the season. Chase Mullenix finished with 313 yards of offense, while the Tigers finished with 228. He finished the game with 14 yards passing, 131 yards rushing, and two rushing touchdowns.

The Trojans finished the season with a 4-5 record, and look to improve for next season.