Meet an Aspiring Writer: Shayla Luke

Shayla Luke has a unique talent when it comes to writing.

Alyssa Brockob, Editor

Who knew AHS was harboring it’s very own writing prodigy? Shayla Luke, a sophomore at Atlantic High School, has a passion for exercising, reading and the topic of interest: writing. Luke, a lifetime resident of Atlantic, lives with her mom while the rest of her family resides in Oklahoma. She is fond of many things such as different literature and the color red. During her free time, Luke enjoys spending time with her boyfriend or watching some sort of movie, usually falling into the horror or comedic genre. The one thing Luke wished her peers knew about her is her friendly and extrovert personality. “I wish people knew about personality as a whole,” Luke said.

Writing, a skill mandatory in our society, seems to have become a chore for most students. However, Luke seems to think otherwise, fully enjoying its entirety. Though Luke has never entered a writing contest nor published her work, she does have interest in pursuing a career in creative writing. She seems to have the proper skill set as she describes herself as, “ambitious, a bit dull-witted, creative, artistic and hardworking.” Luke’s first memory about writing happened in fourth grade. Being in the Honors English class offered at the time, she was able to practice her skills via the numerous creative and informative writing assignments. “There were so many writing projects that developed the interest,” Luke said.

Others have begun to take notice of Luke’s unique skill set, and peers have shared encouraging words and praise. “She’s a really funny, smart, intellectual person that you can come to with any problem you have,” said Troy Roach, a close friend to Luke.  Roach describes Luke’s writing as “very mature” with tendencies to “jump off the page and make you read it.”

For students at AHS who are interested in writing, Luke has some prominent advice. She suggests that students read what they have written aloud to themselves and then to peers. “Make sure to take constructive criticism from those that are willing to give it to you. You are trying to appeal to an outside audience, and they are a part of that title.” Luke also advises the importance of finding a good writing environment that allows the writer to be comfortable and focus, which will in turn help produce the best work. Lastly, she makes the point for aspiring writers to continue to write, as “the more you do, the more you improve.”