• October 15The boys' and girls' varsity cross country teams will compete in Glenwood on Thursday at the State qualifying meet. Good luck!

• October 15Trojan football has their last game this Friday vs Red Oak. The theme is Pink Out!

Trojans’ Homecoming Football Game Had a Little Bit of Everything

Quarterback, Chase Mullenix looks to run for a first down, as he surveys the field.

Connor Church

The Trojans lost a tough game to OABCIG last Friday at the Trojan Bowl. It was the homecoming game for the Trojans, but it had a little bit more to it this time. The OABCIG Falcons were coming off of a tough loss to the Red Oak Tigers, so the Trojans knew that they would be in for a tough matchup.

The Falcons started with the football. They went for it on a fourth down and one, but the Trojans got the stop. The Trojans got the ball at their own 23-yard line. However, the Trojans were forced to punt. However, on the Falcons next possession, Tyler Moen intercepted a pass. This took away an opportunity for a field goal attempt for the Falcons.

The Trojans got the ball at their own 37- yard line, and quarterback Chase Mullenix rushed for a one-yard touchdown. However, the Trojans missed the extra point. This made the score 6-0. However, the Trojans didn’t stop there. They also recovered an onside kick, which gave them excellent field position.

After recovering the onside kick, the Trojans drove the ball down the field, but were only able to add three points to their lead. The Falcons were looking to respond, but the Trojans intercepted another pass. This time, it was senior, Nathan Behrends with the interception. However, the Trojans were forced to punt. This gave the Falcons life, as the scored a touchdown on a two play, 47-yard drive. The Trojans were leading 9-7.

The Trojans got the ball back, but turned the ball over. There was also an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that added 15 yards to the end of the play. The Falcons drove the ball down the field, and scored a touchdown. This made the score 9-13. The Trojans were unable to respond, as they were forced to punt.

The Falcons had a 9-13 lead at halftime. The Trojans started with the ball in the third quarter. However, the Trojans turned the ball over. The Falcons didn’t have the ball for long, however. Tyler Moen recovered a Falcons’ fumble. During the Trojans’ next possession, they went for it on fourth down, but was unable to move the sticks. This gave the Falcons great field position. On the very next play, the Falcons rushed for a six-yard touchdown. This made the score 9-19.

The Trojans got the ball back, and drove the ball down the field, but missed a 29-yard field goal attempt. On the next play, the Falcons scored a touchdown. This made the score 9-26.

Then, the power went out at the Trojan Bowl. The whole town of Atlantic was without power. So, both teams went into the locker room, and waited for the power to come back on. The power came back on after a 45-minute delay. After the delay was over, both teams went onto the field for warm-ups.

The game was resumed in the fourth quarter, with 11:55 on the clock. The Trojans got the ball back, but were unable to convert on a fourth down conversion. On the Falcons next drive, they fumbled the ball, which gave the ball back to the Trojans. On the next drive, the Trojans threw a pick six, which made the score 9-32.

The Falcons scored another touchdown, making the score 9-39, but the Trojans fought back, making the final score 16-39.

The Trojans finished the game with 439 yards of offense, while the Falcons finished with 447. Quarterback, Chase Mullenix threw for 221 yards, and three interceptions. Tyler Moen led the Trojans with 91 yards rushing, on 22 carries. He also rushed for a touchdown. Senior, Logan Reilly led the Trojans with 76 yardsreceiving. The Trojans look to rebound from a tough loss, as they take on Greene County this Friday in Jefferson. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Connor Church, Editor

Journalism editor Connor Church (Churchy) has a few stories under his belt from his time as a journalist. His first ever published piece is titled, “AHS Finds a Lack of Student Participation in School Events,” and was written with Trey Cappel. Churchy also writes sports stories, specifically football for the fall season. “I love the game of football and I just find that writing stories comes naturally,” Churchy said. He also mentioned that he likes to interview people and “talk to the athletes around the school.” His first sports interview was with junior Bradley Dennis about track. He joined journalism because he “saw everybody else doing it” and was told by Berryhill that he could be part of the newspaper team and write sports stories.

Journalism isn’t the only thing Churchy has in mind. He is interested in going to Wartburg or Iowa State to look further into sports announcing or sticking to his roots as a sports journalist. “I’m also looking into stepping away from journalism and I would work at Gillette’s children hospital because I feel like I would want to help kids that are going through the same thing I went through and make their situation easier and help them have a better life like I’ve had so far,” Churchy said.

Churchy’s cat is on the top of his list of favorite things, and he said, “I love my cat, Stormy. I got him four years ago after my previous cat died and he’s given me a lot of joy and happiness. He does whatever his little heart desires.” You can also find him cheering on his favorite sports teams: the Packers, Twins and the Minnesota Wild.

Story by Camryn Church, Dajai Wesson and Haylie Handel